Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I make one page of a conventional website longer than the rest

I checked and it is NOT a supersite, but a conventional site.

Hello again. I want to have one page much longer than the rest to allow for multiple embedded youtube videos. When I change the length of this page the rest of the pages change as well. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance!

Ed
    Last edited by gwpriester; 29 December 2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: incorrect title

Default Re: How do I make one page of a supersite longer than the rest

Ed, Utilities > options > Page Size: untick Paper: Lock page size and untick Document: All pages in the document the same.

Click the Apply/OK button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn, Thanks for the help! I'm not so sure that my idea is a good one after some tests. Each video adds load time to the page (still testing but this is what I'm seeing). Again it was recommended by a few people to have video on he site so I'll post one embedded video and placeholder links to the rest.

Somehow I missed this as I was in the right menu and must have stared right through it.

Thanks again!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eeetee View Post
    Hi Acorn, Thanks for the help! I'm not so sure that my idea is a good one after some tests. Each video adds load time to the page (still testing but this is what I'm seeing). Again it was recommended by a few people to have video on he site so I'll post one embedded video and placeholder links to the rest.

Somehow I missed this as I was in the right menu and must have stared right through it.

Thanks again!
    Ed
    Ed, embedding videos must also make your design file very large so small editorial changes will take a long time to upload. Can you not put them on YouTube or is it with this you are experiencing the slow load times?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn, I was using embedded links created using the "share" feature of youtube. It appears that the placeholders are taking more time to load as I add more.

Thanks!!

Ed

The issue I have with Supersites is they load all the content from all of the pages which can take a long time for the page to load and which may cause your visitors to go elsewhere. I would go with a conventional website

Hi gwpriester, thanks for your help. I incorrectly titled the post and indeed it is a conventional site. The title can't be edited using the edit post tool on the site, nor could I delete the post so I edited the content to reflect my goof up. Sorry for the confusion!

Happy new year!

Ed

Info Re: How do I make one page of a supersite longer than the rest

Quote Originally Posted by eeetee View Post
    Hi Acorn, I was using embedded links created using the "share" feature of youtube. It appears that the placeholders are taking more time to load as I add more.
    Thanks!!
    Ed
    Ed, not tried this but it ought to defer loading of the Placeholders until the web page is displayed.

Set up your first visible YouTube IFRAME as normal.
    For each of the other Placeholders, add body code of <div id="video2">&nbsp;</div>, <div id="video3">&nbsp;</div>, etc.
    Add page head code as:
    <script>
    $(document).ready(function() {
    $("#video2").html("<iframe width='350' height='230' src='https://www.youtube.com/embed/jySrwZc4sZo' frameborder='0' gesture='media' allow='encrypted-media' allowfullscreen></iframe>");
    $("#video3").html("<iframe width='350' height='230' src='https://www.youtube.com/embed/sB_--dhnx7s' frameborder='0' gesture='media' allow='encrypted-media' allowfullscreen></iframe>");
    });
    </script>
    One of the Placeholders also needs a Name of UsesJQuery.

Acorn

Hi and thanks again!

My landing page loads normally, but when I arrive at the page with the videos the delay is quite a bit longer than the typical visitor would like. I made 6 copies of the same link as a test and they really bog down the page load. My intent is to provide an extreme amount of information to my guests. The embedded video is recommended by quite a few people as the Google web crawler gives a higher ranking for youtube videos. No coincidence that they happen to own youtube. My site is up and under construction eeetee.com and use the technical link from the navigation bar to see the effect.

Thank you again!

Ed

OK I modified the title of this thread to Conventional Website