Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Serif's Affinity

At the moment, I almost completely switched to Affinity, but I sincerely hope that Xara will show itself, I will return to it.
    Hi Dimitry. I wish I could be more optimistic. But I think Affinity is where Xara was when Corel "licensed" the right to market Xara and then hung it out to dry. I just don't see the same enthusiasm or commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Dimitry. I wish I could be more optimistic. But I think Affinity is where Xara was when Corel "licensed" the right to market Xara and then hung it out to dry. I just don't see the same enthusiasm or commitment.
    Umm, that confused me completely. Affinity has no enthusiasm or commitment, or did you mean Magix or Xara?

I know what you mean by the Corel licencing.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Umm, that confused me completely. Affinity has no enthusiasm or commitment, or did you mean Magix or Xara?
    I know what you mean by the Corel licencing.
    Gary is saying up to the Corel debacle, Xara was zinging. The Magix entanglement has several resonances, n'est pas?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary is saying up to the Corel debacle, Xara was zinging. The Magix entanglement has several resonances, n'est pas?

Acorn
    Well yes, but I think Gary swapped Affinity for Magix in the sentence.

You also have to consider the times have changed and none of us are as young as we were and that includes at Xara HQ. The enthusiasm that drove the creation of Computer Concepts and Xara Studio 1.0 may not be there any more.

There really no special USP for Xara except as an all-in-one solution. When Computer Concepts was developing product they were leading the curve, but now trail it.

If it was not for ADOBE Brand, Affinity would not have gained it's followers/name. Affinity has sucked off of Adobe brand and popularity to offer something more and in some cases it is features but mostly due to one time purchase tactic. I worked with Serif products and overnight they abandoned everyone without any pity for their users. It can happen again. No software company can stay ahead of the game unless there is more innovation rather than advance features.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    If it was not for ADOBE Brand, Affinity would not have gained it's followers/name. Affinity has sucked off of Adobe brand and popularity to offer something more and in some cases it is features but mostly due to one time purchase tactic.
    Well "sucked off of Adobe brand"?

I don't agree. Serif launched the Affinity project as a new enterprise. They made an excellent product focussed on one speciality and were able to gain extra traction because low product costs and the hatred of the Adobe subscription model. They threw away their outdated code.

Until Affinity emerged, I wouldn't touch Serif with a bargepole.

Well done Serif/Affinity I say.

While all this was going on, Magix/Xara continued with their bloatware and ignored the market they could have grasped.

No company can continue with unprofitable product. Xara on the desktop is approaching the end game.

it is true that serif terminated development of their pre-affinity product range

and yes companies exist to make money; let none of us forget that it what they are actually there for
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...