Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Info Serif's Affinity

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

Just got 20% discount on Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and some freebies. [GBP39 each]

No Subscription—Free to Try, One Price to Buy

• No subscription charges! Designed for pros, priced for all designers
    • Updates available as we improve
    'nuf said,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Serif's Affinity

What a jolly place https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/ is to be sure, in stark contrast to xara.com which seems to have disappeared altogether. Affinity Designer seem to be doing everything right, and Xara are going backwards at a rate of knots.

Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	119654  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

nuf said indeed....

@Bob - xara.com redirects visitors to the 'appropriate' part of the website based on where you are located as defineded by your IP - so, for example, using a proxy server might cause issues if the site can't handle this... also, maybe it's as a result of the current integration with magix

you could always try xara.com/eu [or .../uk or ..../us ....]

For the purposes of watching Rugby online, I use smartDNS Proxy which convinces RugbyPass.com that I am based in HongKong and allows me to watch wall-to-wall Rugby at reasonable rates. If the price I have to pay is not being able to visit Xara, then why should I worry?
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

nuff said

I really think Serif understand the KISS principle very well... it may now be very difficult for anyone else in this sector, unless Serif somehow screw up

Magix [and now xara] don't appear to believe in this at all - I dipped my toe into the magix music making pool and whilst the core fuction is solid enough in terms of instrument playing, there are again far too many options of different programs that overlap function; plus the MM program can be flaky - needed a patch to fix a screen rendering issue caused by it's internal rendering engine being thrown by a recent windows update [ sound familiar?] and it's VST plug in system can be 'picky'

I think I will stick with ableton for the actual soundtrack composition
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 December 2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: tighten up

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it may now be very difficult for anyone else in this sector
    Not at all! It's rather the proof that there is a crying need of evolution in this area.

A good well designed program will of course be successful, but it's apparently a rare thing in the world of vector graphics!
    All of the creative progress seems to have been sucked up by the 3d area.

Marc

Now if serif comes out with a web program
    If not, there is talk of wisiwig for wordpress soon.

Serif has stated they will not be building a web creation software.

Hi Marc

rare yes - my point...

I see vector drawing as a minority sport, preserve of designers mostly or animators; 'ordinary' people, and artists in the non-designer sense, tend to like drawing in raster because it is feels more 'natural than building with shapes in a way that has it's roots in CAD

serif saw a market in providing a [very much] cheaper alternative to adobe for those designers that did not need all illustrator/photoshop provide, that was bang up to date having been redesigned from the ground up... not sure that is a trick that can be repeated having been done once

things are evolving.. lots of new online drawing apps of one sort or another - xara is very keen to prioritise online designer - but desktop designer remains a 'quirky' app in a sense.. those who love it, love it... but as I understand it is really only bringing in new customers by virtue of it's web designing side, and that market is evolving for sure... apparently xara cannot even put together a responsive website in the true sense of the term... so it remains to be seen what happens there in a tough market

serif are bringing out a beta affinity pagemaker - due early next year -really looking forward to that

no they have more sense I think than to try their luck in the website sector - it is already looking saturated... wordpress is evolving nicely....

EDIT: They are calling it AFFINITY PUBLISHER not pagemaker...
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 December 2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarity