Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default need information on header tags

Hello again, I am trying to figure out what <h1> thru <h6> header tags are and how to apply them. I did search around quite a bit and there is information, but I'm missing something. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Ed

Default Re: need information on header tags

Hello again. Well, decided to punch a few keys (they don't punch back) and added "<h1> Test" and below that "<h2> Test2" and I now see two titles "Test" and "Test 2" below the bottom of my page in decreasing size. I cant move them and they look odd where they are. Next I moved them from the code body over to the code head which moved them above the top of my page. I'm going forward, but could use a bit of a boost from the knowledge bank they call "talk graphics".
    Thank you!
    Ed
    Last edited by eeetee; 22 December 2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more testing

Hi Ed,

Trying to understand what you're trying to achieve by reading your thread totally confuses me. I'm a graphically orientated simpleton. So any chance of an example of an attached web/xar file?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, I'm running some SEO tests from wave.webaim.org to try and better understand how this all works and of course increase my ranking. I managed to clear up a few errors and next on the list was to add header tags. It's not you who is a simpleton, but more accurately I'm just not communicating correctly. I read about header tags and for example if you enter "<h1> Test" (without the ") in the HTML body you will see the header "Test" below the bottom of the page in large text. In the example I have attached I placed two lines in the HTML header as follows:

<h1> Test
    <h2> Test 2

This displays the text above the top of my page as follows:

Test
    Test 2

I don't have a clue on how to approach this. Thanks very much for your reply! I'll have to check back in tomorrow as I'm being summoned by the wife.

Heads up, for some unknown reason Chrome is not displaying the site correctly.

Ed
    Attached Files Attached Files

eeetee, you do not need to apply HTML Header Tags in this fashion; you use the available Xara text styles Heading 1 (H1), Heading 2 (H2) and Heading 3 (H3).
    Xara hasn't described how to create styles to render H4, H5 or H6 (I bet it forgot) but I suggest just use a style without worrying about this depth of SEO paranoia.

To do all the above by hand you create a Placeholder and in its body include <Hn>Some text</Hn>, replacing n with 1 through 6.
    You are getting weird results as you have not closed the Tags.

Acorn, one of the 'knowledge bank they call "talk graphics"'
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn, Thank you very much for the insight! Now this is starting to make some sense. I read your comment "worrying about this depth of SEO paranoia" with great interest. I have a basic understanding of how SEO works and was under the impression that it was not the "be all end all" solution, but none the less a strong factor in getting closer to the first page with a search. I hear so much conflicting information on this I don't know how valuable it actually is now.

Thank you again!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eeetee View Post
    Hi Acorn, Thank you very much for the insight! Now this is starting to make some sense. I read your comment "worrying about this depth of SEO paranoia" with great interest. I have a basic understanding of how SEO works and was under the impression that it was not the "be all end all" solution, but none the less a strong factor in getting closer to the first page with a search. I hear so much conflicting information on this I don't know how valuable it actually is now.
    Thank you again!
    Ed
    The whole point about SEO is it is trying to get one over Google (largest search engine) to place your site at the top. Google changes and adjusts accordingly and can penalise your site if it transgresses the newer rules. Google's bots do look for structure (Header tags) as these form part of the fuzzy search applied to a search phrase but the more important detail is meaningful content and lots of authoritative back-links. So don't hide too much in layers as the bot will say the viewer cannot see any of this initially: simple, clean and factual works.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn. Thank you again for your insight! I'm currently cleaning up my site according to information from my ISP and an SEO provider. According to my ISP there would be little sense in going with the SEO without improving my page. I'll see how effective it turns out to be and post what I found after it has had an adequate time to take effect.
    Have a great new year!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eeetee View Post
    Hi Acorn. Thank you again for your insight! I'm currently cleaning up my site according to information from my ISP and an SEO provider. According to my ISP there would be little sense in going with the SEO without improving my page. I'll see how effective it turns out to be and post what I found after it has had an adequate time to take effect.
    Have a great new year!
    Ed
    Ed, wishing you and all TGers the same,
    Acorn