Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question ClipView, ClipView = ?

Hi,
    when I do this:
    1) New drawing
    2) Create circle
    3) Create a long line (bigger than circle diameter) that is in front of the circle
    4) Select both and apply ClipView, The line is now visible only where the Circle is
    5) Create another shape (Rectangle or so) and again select both objects (ClipView + Rectangle)
    6) apply ClipView
    7) I don't understand the result. The line disappears, and the outlining of the Circle changes

I don't know what I really would expect, but actually I thought it would just clip the new shape again.

Default Re: ClipView, ClipView = ?

Does not sound right. But simplest fix is remove the clip view then select all the object and reapply the clip view. Clip View clips to the object that is behind all the others.

I followed your steps and go your result: I end up with a circle with part of the rectangle in it. The line disappears but I see a small outline around the circle.
    However when I turn down the view quality, so you see only the lines, the long line is still there and even selectable.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Does not sound right. But simplest fix is remove the clip view then select all the object and reapply the clip view. Clip View clips to the object that is behind all the others.
    This is the perfect workaround and it's even easier somehow, many thanks!

if you use a line, not a shape, clipview may not work the way you might expect...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

if you use a line, not a shape, clipview may not work the way you might expect...
    If I use a line or a shape that has an outline. And that line or outline will not be rendered anymore. And it's possible to get the same result without "bug" by doing what gwpriester said. So, I guess it's not what Xara had in mind, but I don't know.

You can convert the line to a shape (Arrange > Convert Line to Shape) This works with any line. It appears exactly the same but the line is now a vector shape.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You can convert the line to a shape (Arrange > Convert Line to Shape) This works with any line. It appears exactly the same but the line is now a vector shape.
    Maybe I should not say this, but I'd be happy with a software that relies solely on destructive tools and helper tools for this, or a software that solely uses non-destructive tools (and maybe helpers for this). When I start Xara I still see it as the program that will have some line tools, and a line concept, e.g. colors for lines, some thickness variations. My problem is still that I'd actually need a plan how to use Xara/Inkscape/etc. A plan from A) to Z), with motivational and inspirational components. Drifting away from the topic, sorry.