Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Editing Text in Enhanced Metafile

Hi Guys,

I'm busy designing a 86 page trade directory. 40 pages are listings that are copied and pasted from MS Excel as enhanced metafile.
    My problem is the black text is made up in CMYK and needs to be changed to black only.

Is there an easier way than selecting and changing each piece of text manually?

Keep in mind this is copied from excel so I cannot simply select the entire text area and make the change.

When I click the enhanced metafile it opens another page (edit inside...) and the text is broken up into separate portions.
    If I make the changes this way I would have to click company name make the change then email address then phone number then region.
    40 pages with 41 listings on each page will take forever to change in this way.

Is there an easier way

Im using Xara designer pro x

Default Re: Editing Text in Enhanced Metafile

Quote Originally Posted by Zaahir View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm busy designing a 86 page trade directory. 40 pages are listings that are copied and pasted from MS Excel as enhanced metafile.
    My problem is the black text is made up in CMYK and needs to be changed to black only.

Is there an easier way than selecting and changing each piece of text manually?

Keep in mind this is copied from excel so I cannot simply select the entire text area and make the change.

When I click the enhanced metafile it opens another page (edit inside...) and the text is broken up into separate portions.
    If I make the changes this way I would have to click company name make the change then email address then phone number then region.
    40 pages with 41 listings on each page will take forever to change in this way.

Is there an easier way

Im using Xara designer pro x
    I would avoid the Enhanced Metafile import as you have so many fragments for you and Xara to deal with.
    The cleanest one I can think of is to use Excel (2016) to Export > Create PDF/XPS document and bring that into Xara into a separate document so you can experiment with changing the font colour.

I have also tried exporting form Excel to HTML.

The one you should use is the Xara Import to Rich Text format but i find this blows up and crashes Xara.

My concern is when you mention CMYK and black text.
    Xara still cannot handle pure black but perhaps there is a confusion around the Colour Editor, which you can change from CMYK to RBG, etc by right-clicking in it and picking.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

If it is live text, no matter how many "pieces," make up a text stream, you can select the font/text using the Name gallery. You can then change the color to 100% K or whatever color using the color editor.

You need to do this on each page as using the Name gallery will not select text across pages.

There is no issue with 100%K.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    If it is live text, no matter how many "pieces," make up a text stream, you can select the font/text using the Name gallery. You can then change the color to 100% K or whatever color using the color editor.
    You need to do this on each page as using the Name gallery will not select text across pages.
    There is no issue with 100%K.
    Thanks for clarifying about colour changing.

My concern is is the current import will exercise Xara if there were 25 rows per page and say 5 columns then there will be 5,000 text objects and multiples of this for shapes that make up the cells.

Acorn

P.S. Another approach might be to copy into MS Word, change to black and import into Xara from there. That might be cleaner.

P.P.S. A sampler table might be very useful.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The PS...MS Word isn't going to be helpful as regards color, but it likely be helpful in reconstructing whole words/sentences. And likely the word file could simply be imported at that point.

But if it is already done, and I was using XDP for this (I wouldn't have), then struggling along might be quicker. Dunno as I have never tried such a thing in XDP.

Acorn give the right answer.

From Excell export to PDF.

In Xara open the PDF and in the name gallerry surch for the black unnamed color. Click it and You'll see all fonts and objects uses this color.
    Replace it with 100 K from the CMYK color tab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	namedcolor.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	120276 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coloreditor.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	120277

An other future from opening the PDF is the preservation of text.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	120279

Guys thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Saving the excel file as pdf and then editing in Xara worked the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaahir View Post
    Guys thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
    Saving the excel file as pdf and then editing in Xara worked the best.
    Zaahir, that is kind of you to report back.

Always a help to others.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Zaahir, that is kind of you to report back.

Always a help to others.

Acorn
    Thanks