Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Versions of Xara Designer Pro X(15)

Browj2, are you somehow affiliated to Xara or Magix?

First thing that came to my mind as there's nothing to be joyful about.

See https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...105#post585105

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @handrawn,

But, you wanted to be able to try out the new features without upgrading. So Xara listened and you have your wish, a version that installs separately from the previous one.
    oh come on...

I asked, in a thread in Dear Xara that incidently Xara never replied to, how this would be possible ... am I to suppose that they were not intending to and then changed their mind just for me?

No, I reckon they just didn't want to set any sort of precedent in case they had to change their scheduling in a hurry... one of the signs of a failing Company btw...

And because I have my answer now does not mean that I will take up that option if what I see in the shop window does not look attractive [to me] - what I wanted was to know there would be an option, and it will always remain just an option as you yourself have said in so many words

Licencing by device is my understanding of the system up to ver 11 - it would make sense for it to be continuing that way

@hakoo 'porcine pinna' about sums it up
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As Designer Pro X is the "flagship" product I was hoping for a few more unique features, updates, etc. instead of the same additions made to Web Designer.

The newest feature, Auto Fit to Page is the most unique feature with the addition of new page sizes for various social media (see my screen shot).

While this is kind of cool, I wonder how many people will actually use this feature? I spend way too much time on Facebook and Twitter, and I have a folder full of memes I have created to respond to posts and comments, but the size has never been an issue.

I have said this before and I think it is worth saying again. Instead of adding new features that are soon forgotten, (when was the last time you used Content Aware Photo Resize for example), why not spend some time updating features such as Bitmap Tracer. The support for Glyphs and Style Sets cries out for a more intuitive interface. For that matter the entire text tool infobar needs a rethink. It has grown unweildy.

I am not trying to turn this into a features request. I am just trying to point out that new features get added, and then are quickly forgotten while the search for the next shiny object commences. This update is not worthy of a jump from 12 to 15. It is more like 12.0.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new page sizes.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	119489  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    As Designer Pro X is the "flagship" product I was hoping for a few more unique features, updates, etc. instead of the same additions made to Web Designer.

The newest feature, Auto Fit to Page is the most unique feature with the addition of new page sizes for various social media (see my screen shot).

While this is kind of cool, I wonder how many people will actually use this feature? I spend way too much time on Facebook and Twitter, and I have a folder full of memes I have created to respond to posts and comments, but the size has never been an issue.

I have said this before and I think it is worth saying again. Instead of adding new features that are soon forgotten, (when was the last time you used Content Aware Photo Resize for example), why not spend some time updating features such as Bitmap Tracer. The support for Glyphs and Style Sets cries out for a more intuitive interface. For that matter the entire text tool infobar needs a rethink. It has grown unweildy.

I am not trying to turn this into a features request. I am just trying to point out that new features get added, and then are quickly forgotten while the search for the next shiny object commences. This update is not worthy of a jump from 12 to 15. It is more like 12.0.5
    I agree in all points.
    I for me have uninstall the 15. I got the German version and there is no chance to get an English version from here (Germany). The two versions made on my machine problems and slow all XDP X versions down. In the German 15 version i was'nt able to install the content catalog. I send a ticket via the Service to Magix. Will see if I become an answer.
    This Update/-grade is a great piece of s… Where are the stunning new features like promised in October? The money for the renewal, I would rather have spend on drinks or throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Browj2, are you somehow affiliated to Xara or Magix?
    @Boy,

Yes, and maybe like you, I am an Affiliate, as I accepted that thing for web design such that if you leave the link to Xara at the bottom of a web page and someone clicks on it and then buys Xara, you can collect a commission. Since I've only done this on 2 very obscure web sites, I have collected a grand total of 0$. The Xara affiliate program has been replaced by a Magix Affiliate program. I must look into that to see if I can may collect more 0$

I do have a vested interest in Magix and Xara, as I have invested a lot of money, time and effort into many of the programs. Xara is the least of them. I have Magix - Video Pro X, Movie Edit Pro, Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, MusicMaker Premium, SoundForge Pro 11, Audio & Music Lab, and several other ones, and at least several versions of each. I follow closely the evolution of most of these. I do mention on the Magix.info forum things that don't work, raise tickets with Magix, and most surprisingly, they actually fix the problems (before introducing new problems when new features come out).

@Egg,

On my Surface Pro 4 with both Xara 12 and 15 open, a dozen tabs open in 12, 1 in 15, I am getting fluctuations of between 0 and 5%, when doing nothing, jumping to about 10% of my 8GB of RAM when I do something, like move a photo. On my desktop, with 16GB of RAM, I am getting about 13% for 12, and less than 1% for 15. Moving a photo in 12 doesn't change the usage much, maybe up to 15%. In version 15, moving a photo causes a jump to about 5%, then quickly drops back. It looks to me like there is a new engine in 15 that is more efficient.

For comparison, here is what is loaded in RAM:
    Surface Pro 4
    - version 12: 235,696 kb
    - version 15: 81,224 kb

Desktop:
    - version 12: 153,948 kb
    - version 15: 87,920
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Thanks for clearing that up, browj2. Good to hear that Magix seems to have its act together.

Thanks for that info too John. It's not an issue that effects all machines but it affects a few and I'm not the only one. And whilst Xara are aware of it they have never been able to track this bug down.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Eric,

It might be to many fonts installed or a buggy one that makes the program tumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    It's still gobbling up 25% of my CPU usage when doing absolutely nothing. It's about time this was fixed.

Has that Simplon something or other software been dropped as I didn't see an option to NOT install it on installing Xara. There was another PC Cleaner type option which I declined installation.

Strangely just before seeing the post Talkgraphics Forum announcing the new release, I checked to see whether there was an update via the Help / Check for Updates menu and was informed it was up to date. How are users who don't frequent TG going to know of this latest release?
    Eric,

I opened one file in Version 15 that I've been working on.
    While observing this thread here on TG, I took a peak in Task Manager to see what the usage was for Version 15, and it fluctuates between 19% and 30%. Is this what you are referring to when you mention 25% of your CPU usage?

Also, how does this affect the performance of one's computer?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer