Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

I have painter 6 and I am wondering how the painter mask tools have improved over version 6.
    Thanks to anyone answering. I have attached a picture. It's drawn from memory. Critique is welcome.

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MABEL.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	15813  
    IP

Hi,

I have painter 6 and I am wondering how the painter mask tools have improved over version 6.
    Thanks to anyone answering. I have attached a picture. It's drawn from memory. Critique is welcome.

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    IP

hi Cheryl

Do you mean you have P6 and you want to know how they differ from P5, or do you have V7 and want to know how they differ from P6.

At any rate the visibility masks in P6 are very buggy. See this thread. Like everything else in P6. As far as I know they haven't been fixed in P7 and Corel informed me that they will not be fixed in P8 either!
    IP

Hi Thelonious,

I have painter 6. I am interested in improvements in the ease of use of the mask tools. Such as a mask brush and right click ability. I have corel drawsuite 9 & 10. I wish I had not bought 10. I have 9 on my machine.

Thanks for posting about Visibility masks. Sometimes I don't know whether it's me or the program.

Regards,
    Cheryl
    IP

Hi Cheryl

I don't know about how this differs from P5, but in P6 when making a User Mask, after you make the mask you can select parts of it and apply filters, or even fill it with a gradient to get a gradient mask which is useful. You can also select and hit the delete key.

In the Image below I have painted a donut shaped mask, then I have made three selections. in the top right I applied a paper texture to the mask in the top left, a glass distortion and in the bottom selection I have filled it with a gradient. Then I have converted the mask to a selection and painted it with a pattern pen. So you can see that a User mask can be very versatile.

thelonious
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mask.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1240  
    IP

Thanks Thelonious! I did not know Painter 6 had this capability. I will get by manual out and read about masks again. I think I got lost somewhere when boolean was mentioned. Your image made it very clear to me.

Thanks again,
    Cheryl
    IP