Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Supersite and graphic options

Hi Lynnzer, you asked the question so please don't be annoyed by the response.

Stop using a supersite.
    Reduce the desktop width, as a lot of folks with high resolution monitors don't view sites at full screen and yours currently requires horizontal scrolling for those who don't.
    The Menu is not in keeping with the rest of the sites look/feel.
    The Designer menu needs to be offset, not overlay the main menu.
    Why do you have the thumbnails load one after another rather at once?
    The introduction text:
    Relaxed: Enjoyable experience: Personal attention: Friendly ......
    Reads like it's intended for SEO robots rather than to be addressing a human.
    The Price Match Guarantee animation leads nowhere.

Just my input
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK. Phew..... spent a good deal of time over Xmas to get this right. I have deliberately left the page sizes as they were as most modern computer monitors are working at high pixel widths. If not all a user has to do is reduce the window width in the browser options.

The site has now been transferred to my main server address www.thebridesmother.co.uk

I think it's as good as I can get it for now. There'a a little tidying up with font sizes and general layout of things like social media buttons etc that will be done when I get time.

The biggest time was spent on sizing each graphic to exactly the size needed to display without excess. Photoshop "Save for the Web" was damned good for that.

So how does this look to you guys? Oh, and check the mobile option too by reducing the width of the browser window or viewing it on a mobile phone.
    Last edited by Lynnzer; 17 January 2018 at 05:27 PM.

Hi Lynn, I like your site a lot but I think you're missing my point re screen resolution.

Reduce the desktop width, as a lot of folks with high resolution monitors don't view sites at full screen and yours currently requires horizontal scrolling for those who don't.
    You state:
    I have deliberately left the page sizes as they were as most modern computer monitors are working at high pixel widths. If not all a user has to do is reduce the window width in the browser options.
    Xara doesn't create responsive websites, it creates adaptive websites. Further you have added the text:

If this page is too wide for your browser just go into Browser Options and reduce the viewing size accordingly
    This to the vast majority of visitors is a meaningless statement. Do you mean adjust the zoom level (Ctrl-1 etc)? Very few visitors will know how to do this. Or something else?

... as most modern computer monitors are working at high pixel widths ....
    True, but how many visitors are using their browser at full screen? Not many I'd suggest.

I use my browser window occupying approx 60% of the screen real estate.

Here's what happens to your site as I'd view it:

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 January 2018 at 02:51 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm relatively satisfied with the website content and presentation now.
    There's still a bit of tidying up to do, ie font sizes to be sorted out etc.

That apart, I'm now trying to optimise for Google.
    I used to have this website in 1st spot on the 1st page until about a year ago when it started to slip back. The site was done by MS Frontpage at that time so that code such as headers, kewords, alt images etc could be changed quite quickly. However it wasn't much use in doing a multiple size site for tablets, mobile phones etc and nowhere as friendly to use as Xara in positioning text areas and images.

So the switch to Xara was a no-brainer for me.
    Optimisation is checked using WebCEO which is what I used to get 1st spot on the 1st page with the Frontpage site. I could easily implement the suggested code improvements but am struggling with the Xara code juggling around.

Google algorithms seem to have changed a lot anyway and the positioning of many mainly generic websites into the top positions is a result of that.
    If anyone can suggest Xara optimisation tips I'd appreciate it.

You can view the source code from the site itself and based on the main key-phrase I prefer of mother of the bride outfits, perhaps enlighten me of any code changes you think may be helpful; as well as where to make the changes ie HTML Code (body) or HTML Code (head).

Thanks for your input so far everyone.

I prefer of mother of the bride outfits....
    Just as a suggestion, it's often worth looking at how similar businesses to yourself are achieving a high rating. Using your preferred search term I found one high on google search was using Google My Business to push that search term by adding it in brackets after their company name, i.e. Business Name - (Mother of the Bride) which seems to rank well. Their website title doesn't include this but they do tend to use it in their menu structure.

And perhaps changing your Google My Business from "Women's clothing store in Easington, England" to a more bridal focused content?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motb.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	120053  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Thanks for that. I have implemented these changes. The list of categories for Google My Business isn't generally available however I found this.

Best match is for Boutique.

Looking Good
    Egg