Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Supersite and graphic options

I'm building a very graphic oriented site, ie one that has loads of photograph images of ladies fashions.
    I am using the supersite template to build a continuous scrolling window and as thbis will load everything at once I'm wondering what to about images.

Most of them will have a pop up enlarged copy that need to be good quality.
    So for instance the usual size is around the 450 pixel size with the pop-up going to 880.
    If I Optimise the pictures on the page I presume it will do it to the 450 size and the pop-up will suffer quality as a result.

So should I just make the original pictures by using the 880 to start with then don't optimise them?
    Perhaps to make it quicker to load, I could perhaps just put a link to each individual picture which means they won't do an auto-load on accessing the website.

Default Re: Supersite and graphic options

The optimizing command reduces the pictures that are in your .web file and not those on your website. Optimizing those pictures is done upon export, so make sure that in the Utilities/Web Properties/Website dialog the "Retina (hi-def) images" is ticked if you want your pictures to look good on hi-def devices.

If you want high-quality images to show on your website, also make sure that in the Utilities/Options/View dialog the "Import at dpi specified in the image file" radio button is ticked (or otherwise the "Resize large imported photos to xxx pixels" radio button with the appropriate pixel value).

However, as you mention that you use 'loads of photographs,' this may slow down your computer (hence the "Optimize all images" command). You also mention that you're using a supersite template (which means one large page) so with 'loads of photographs' all these images need to be loaded before the browser will show the page. This may negatively affect user experience when visiting your site. So, it depends how many is 'loads of photographs'.

My experience in the past with super sites that have a lot of content is it takes a long time to load and unless this has been fixed, by the time all the content has loaded your visitor has moved on. I would go with a traditional site.

Ditto
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Out of interest, I don't have a "view" tab on the options menu....?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	options.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	119423

View is in Designer Pro X. There are considerably more tabs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPX Options.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	119424  

Just so you know the extent of the site I'm hopeful of doing on a Supersite, (and the reason why it probably isn't a good idea now that I know) the site I already have for my 1st attempt is my wife's shop site at
    www.thebridesmother.co.uk

What I was hoping to do was to emulate the scrolling effect of the WordPress sites I have seen. It just seems easier to me to do it this way.
    I am now minimizing the sizes of the pictures as far as possible so the site should open quicker, BUT, I have a few smallish video clips on the Condici & Ispirato pages.
    The Condici ones are embedded via the Youtube Share facility, and the Ispirato ones are what I downloaded and inserted from my own computer. I have since reduced the file sizes with Free Video Compressor.

Just a thought, as it's the ongoing scrolling effect I would like instead of clicking to access each page, is there any way I could invoke a next page appearance when the page being looked at is scrolled to the bottom. Sort of a continuous scrolling effect but separate pages nonetheless.

You have some problems with your nav bar. The mouseovers are different from the mouseoff. If you need help with this let us know.

And I think the font you have used for Norma & June Fashions is not as elegant as the designs themselves.

You can achieve the effect of the continuous scrolling by using a button at the bottom of the page that links to the next page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font explorations.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	119427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	button.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	822 Bytes 
ID:	119428  

It might be fun for someone to integrate https://infinite-scroll.com/ into Xara.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Very nice site Lynn. In the Ispirato page the videos require Flash. I wouldn't recommend this. Flash is dead.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host