Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default A Letter from Xara's new CEO Matt Bolton

First & foremost welcome to TG and the Xara community Matt.

The announcement HERE is somewhat confusing, firstly as an open letter members cannot respond to it within that thread. Strange.

To the best of my knowledge Charles Moir is the CEO of Xara? We've all known Charles over, in many cases, numerous years going back to the old BBC micro and supported and admired his software. So I'm puzzled by this announcement. Has Charles stepped down? What is his future involvement?

Perhaps I'm missing the point but could it be clarified further please?

Egg

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: A Letter from Xara's new CEO Matt Bolton

Egg - The link is not working for me.

Sorry Gary, I have issues with TG links & FF. Anything after a link becomes a link. Hopefully I've corrected it but if not here it is again:

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Charles is 'Chief Software Architect' or words to that effect - if you mosy over to the press release for 'goes cloud' you'll get the exact title

photo and graphics designer is no longer a xara product - it is now a magix product

what next?

I have stopped caring abiut labels; actually, I have simply stopped caring...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ditto here.
    Egg

Brother!!

Ok,

Welcome Matt.

Please share what the status of Charles and Kate are.

1. If Graphic Designer is no longer a Xara product, but a Magix product, will the software from now on be refeered to as Magix Photo and Graphic Designer?

2. With the changes, will Photo and Graphic Designer now be given more assests to grow further development of the software, OR will development continue status quo?
    Will communication on with users on TG improve? (I.e., timely responses/exchanges ((daily, weekly?)) improve?)

3. Will members be privileged to know on a monthly basis actual progress on updates?

4. Requests from members are many. How will these requests be analyzed, and how much consideration will they get in comparison to what competitors are developing?

I have many other questions, but I'm sure you'll be inundated with questions and comments.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Hi Ron,

I'm obviously not Xara staff or Matt Bolton, but I think I an know the answers to some of your questions and I am confident that Xara will correct or expand upon my answer where it is needed.

Charles is still active and carries the title of Founder and Chief Software Architect.
    Kate Moir (I'm not sure of her exact title) is still a very active marketing person for all Xara products with a particular emphasis on developing and supporting Xara Online's marketing plan and execution.

It is my understanding from what Xara staff have said to me in person and what they said in previous releases and discussions on TG and from what Matt restated and confirmed in his letter as Xara's CEO -- that the desktop products are still Xara products, developed by the Xara team that has always done so except they now have more support.

Secondly, Xara is not pivoting from the Desktop products. We will continue, as we always have, to release new features and performance improvements on a consistent basis. What we are doing is investing in new areas of growth, but the existing business around the Desktop products remains strong. The rich content creation market is massive yet highly competitive and we believe Xara is well positioned to drive the market forward.
    Additionally, if you go to Magix's site where they are doing sales and support for Xara products you will see Graphic Designer continues to be called Xara Designer Pro X.

I don't know how they are dividing the development resources within the Xara product line but I've been told by Xara management and Rob-Xar has also stated here that all of the changes mean more development resources for Xara products overall.

As to the question,
    "Will communication on with users on TG improve? (I.e., timely responses/exchanges ((daily, weekly?)) improve?)"
    I expect so, after all the man just gave the world his email address. - I'd say that that indicates a desire to connect on his part. Our own Angelize is co-moderating the new Xara Online Designer forum with Rob-Xar who is a Xara staff member and he actively posts in that forum and sometimes in others as well. Rob is also the moderator's go-to person for help with member support issues that we can not solve without official company help. So these, IMO, are two very visible moves toward increased communication with TG members and the userbase.

As far as your questions 3 and 4, I have no official or unofficial info on that and I hope that Xara personnel will give some kind of answer to these questions. But personally, I have to say, I know of no commercial software company that offers daily or weekly detailed reporting to the public of their development activity or comprehensive insight into how they prioritize their development goals and resources.

And on a personal note to you Ron, I know that as an artist, Xara is an important tool for you and the work you have and continue to produce with Xara is just breathtaking. And I truly believe that you have no reason to worry that "something bad" is going to happen to the tool you have depended on for so many years.

Barbara
    Last edited by Barbara B; 01 December 2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Welcome to TalkGraphics Matt.

Barbara B - Thanks for explaining how things stand - do you have any knowledge if Page&Layout Designer will continue (be upgraded) or will it be dropped?

No, letsgofishing I don't.

I do know that the development and marketing of Page&Layout Designer was not a trivial investment of money and programming resources. And I've observed that the overall trend is to try and cover all markets by having the large desktop programs that contain everything and then breaking out subsets to cater to customers with more focused needs.

I interpret Matt's statement that they are not pivoting away from desktop products as an indication current products are "safe"; but that said I have no direct knowledge of Xara's internal thinking about the specific development plans or timelines for Page&Layout Designer.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com