Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Entire page shifts to the right after adding fade setting for pop ups

This is a quirk in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium and it is driving me nuts! I have 3 pop up triggers. When you click on any of them a simple pop up appears and I have set the pop ups to fade in as opposed to abruptly just appear.
    The transition looks nice and is a little more refined than the typical "instant" in your face transition. The problem is that when I set them to fade in,..and the page is previewed in any of the browsers, the page itself shifts about 5 pixels
    to the right whenever the page loads. It just looks,..well,....stupid. If I set the the transitions all back to instant, the shift goes away. Anyone have an idea as to why such a stupid glitch is occurring like this?

It sounds like a small thing but it's the little things that separate a quality job vs. an amateurish looking one.

td

Default Re: Entire page shifts to the right after adding fade setting for pop ups

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    This is a quirk in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium and it is driving me nuts! I have 3 pop up triggers. When you click on any of them a simple pop up appears and I have set the pop ups to fade in as opposed to abruptly just appear.
    The transition looks nice and is a little more refined than the typical "instant" in your face transition. The problem is that when I set them to fade in,..and the page is previewed in any of the browsers, the page itself shifts about 5 pixels
    to the right whenever the page loads. It just looks,..well,....stupid. If I set the the transitions all back to instant, the shift goes away. Anyone have an idea as to why such a stupid glitch is occurring like this?
    It sounds like a small thing but it's the little things that separate a quality job vs. an amateurish looking one.
    td
    td, throw a simple example together so we can work on it with you,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Entire page shifts to the right after adding fade setting for pop ups

OK,..so I have been trying to isolate what is causing the problem. Here is what I found. I have a NON LOOPING animated gif as the subtle background of the page. When I removed it, then added the fade in transitions for the pop ups...all was clear. No page shifting.
    How crazy is that??? So I guess Xara can't handle two things at once???? Really??? Basically that means that now I cannot have the subtle effect of the background image because Xara chokes. This is strange.

If I leave the animated gif in but set the pop-up settings for the button triggers set to Instant...everything is fine. I'm now going to test to see if any of the other transition effects for the pop ups cause the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    OK,..so I have been trying to isolate what is causing the problem. Here is what I found. I have a NON LOOPING animated gif as the subtle background of the page. When I removed it, then added the fade in transitions for the pop ups...all was clear. No page shifting.
    How crazy is that??? So I guess Xara can't handle two things at once???? Really??? Basically that means that now I cannot have the subtle effect of the background image because Xara chokes. This is strange.

If I leave the animated gif in but set the pop-up settings for the button triggers set to Instant...everything is fine. I'm now going to test to see if any of the other transition effects for the pop ups cause the same issue.
    td, which is why we need your design page...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn,

I decided to change the approach and go with a static image. I will experiment more in my down time with my version 11 in the coming weeks to see if that version has the same issues. I do not like v11 as the first few times I used it, it had just way too many bugs and issues to be considered a finished program (in my own opinion of course). The thought of trying it again does not make me do cartwheels by any stretch.

I think my next move after that will be moving on to another program entirely for my web design needs as I think that the time has come.
    Xara WD had a good run....but I think I may want to explore other applications at this point.

Obviously I will have to stay with Xara's WD9 to support sites that I have already built with it...until I can find a better solution.

td