Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default do print templates from xara resources (365) come in pantone and bleed?

Hi there folks

so my first brochure is going to the printers and I am feeling a bit nervous...I've used an A5 print template from the XARA online resources which automatically makes everything this gorgeous grey scale colour and on screen it all looks fabulous, but I am wondering if the template, since it is a print template, from Xara's online resources, actually defines the colours then as pantone or if I need to do that seperately?

Also do I need to set a bleed margin even though it's a template or are bleed margins included?

and lastly, can I use an image filter to make the pictures go black and white or will that not be adequate for professional printing?

I am using xara 365

Hope someone can help me?

thanks in advance
    Linda

Default Re: do print templates from xara resources (365) come in pantone and bleed?

Hi Linda

Are you printing Pantone colors or just trying to match the colors?

You can check for bleed in Page Options > Page Size

If you have images or objects that extend beyond the page then you do want this enabled (which will show a bleed margin outside of the page. Your content should extend to that border unless your printing company specifies otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	let it bleed.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	119380  

Default Re: do print templates from xara resources (365) come in pantone and bleed?

As for grayscale. Xara STILL does not support grayscale. So even if you create a black and white image, it will be exported as RGB or CMYK.

I use Photoshop just to make a true grayscale image.

I have moved this thread to Xara Design Chat.

From what I recall, the print templates use named colors, not spot color.

If spot color is what you want, I also do not believe Xara products can use spot color in an image or at least correctly.

As Gary mentioned, grayscale images are also not possible in an Xara product.

You can add Pantone colors to your document from the Color Gallery. They appear on the Color Line palette as circles.

And I think you can select all instances of a Theme Color in the Names Gallery and then change the theme color to the Pantone color.

I have not done this for a long time though and I may be missing something.

Pantone colors will export to PDF as spot colors. But any color such as an outline that is not a Pantone color will export CMYK. As I recall it is kind of tricky.

Name:	pantone.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	119385  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Linda

Are you printing Pantone colors or just trying to match the colors?

You can check for bleed in Page Options > Page Size

If you have images or objects that extend beyond the page then you do want this enabled (which will show a bleed margin outside of the page. Your content should extend to that border unless your printing company specifies otherwise.
    Hi GW,
    I've never really looked at this before and it so happens that I am currently working on an A4 bleed menu that will be printed on A4+ paper - so I've allowed 5mm bleed as requested by the (digital) printer. What exactly is the outer margin? in my document this is set at 200mm - this was "automatic" as I never specified it - is this the equivalent of the "old fashioned" type area - where one allowed at least a 5-10mm "margin" inside the page to ensure that any text or images didn't land up being to close the the trimmed page size?
    I changed the measurement to 190mm but can't see any guide frame or difference in the document.

When you check the Bleed Margin box Xara automatically adds a red border outside the page. This is the amount of space your images need to extend beyond the page if they are bleed images. You can change this distance in the text box to the right.

Leave your page size as is and not change it.

My example shows Live, Trim, and Bleed areas.

Live is used more for magazine work and indicates a safe area in which all type and graphics should be unless the graphics bleed.

Trim is the size the page will be trimmed to. If you page is A4 then this is the trim (or actual) size.

Bleed is the margin for graphics to extend if they print off the page. The portion of the graphics that extend off the page will be trimmed off to trim size.

Name:	bleed.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	119392  

The live area applies to any design whether there is bleed or not. No important aspect of a design should be in the live area. This applies to text but also any logo or other design element. The live area is typically the equal of the bleed amount. This helps insure any elements that are desired not to be trimmed is not too close to the trim.

And, btw, in order to get bleed to actually hit the PDF, Xara still requires one to visit the Print dialog, click on the Options button, click on the Imagesetting tab, click on the checkbox for Output Printer's marks, make one's choices, click OK, then click on the Cancel button, then export to PDF.

And if you need to export with bleed but without any marks, like I need to do some times, you need to revisit the Print dialog, uncheck all the marks but leave the checkbox checked for Output Printer's Marks, then OK, then Cancel, then generate the PDF.

What a bunch of crap. This all should be in the Export to PDF dialog.

The only redeeming grace, as it were, is that the choice(s) one makes in the Print dialog are saved in the file. Even so, one should save a template for print work unless ya want to go through that each time. The page size can be altered on such a template and retain the bleed.

Oh, and if one needs asymmetrical bleed? Not possible.

Hi there folks

So my brochure went off and it came out really beautifully I set the bleed margin to 3mm as the printer required and then dragged the images etc to go beyond the bleed margin, was a bit fiddly, BUT came out very pretty My ONLY problem was that it had to be in pure black and white and I didn't know how to do it, so had to hire a freelancer does anyone here know how to set pantone colours to pure black and white?

thanks in advance
    Linda