Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have this image:

http://www.cmrservices.com/images/ho...ewredburst.jpg

I want to put in in the background, as it is, the dark color really makes it overwhelming. I figured that I could just put a transparent object over it but that completely changed the color. I just want the image to be set in the background, almost like a fadeout of the whole thing. You can look at the mid - outer edges of this picture as what I am going for:

http://www.cmrservices.com/images/homepage/redburst.jpg
    IP

How about just applying a flat transparency, then blur? http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a33...te-resized.jpg
    IP

Thank you for the response.

I think the blur helps, but do you see how adding transparency changed the color from a burgendy to a redish pink? I would like to keep the dark color but still have an "in the background" sort of look.

Maybe that is not possible?
    IP

Yes, perhaps it isn't possible. The original color is pretty strong. No way it's going to work as a background. AndFar's solution is what I'd do, too. Or maybe you could try a circular fadeout instead of transparency. But I think the strong color would still be too distracting.
    IP

AndFarr,

How do you make a "flat transparency"?

Which blur did you use?

Thank you.
    IP

Try this:
    1. Open your image in PI. Ctrl A to select all (or Selection/Select all). A selection marquee should appear around the entire image.
    2.Selection/Convert to object (or Ctrl Shift O)to turn the selection to an object.
    3.Press Enter to deselect the object. Delete to clear the background. The object should now be above a white background. Click the eye icon on the object to make sure. I added this step because depending on your selection settings, you may or may not have the preserve base image checked and that would affect the final result. Having it checked would mean that even after converting the background image to an object layer, it is still present as the background image and modifying the transparency of the object layer would give you no noticeable change in your screen. Having it unchecked would leave you with a white background image, and this step would be unecessary. Clear? maybe not... but on to the next step...
    4.Click on the eye icon of the object layer to make it visible again. With the object layer selected, adjust the transparency slider for the layer and you will notice that the image becomes lighter and lighter. As for the blur, I would guess that AndFarr used a slight Gaussian blur, or maybe just a simple blur. Experiment. Ctrl z is there all the time.
    5.Flatten the object layers once you are satisfied with the result. Save.
    IP