Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to avoid these background border lines?

Your issue is the use of the FX soften / soft focus Jaydear which is not the o.p's problem.
    I agree that creating a soft focus image does create border issues but these can be avoided by cloning the image then apply the effect. Select the original untouched image below it and export as true colour png or true colour bmp. This eliminates the border problems. There's no quality difference between png & bmp, just that png creates smaller file sizes.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Never mind, wish I could have a delete post feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    ...creating a soft focus image does create border issues but these can be avoided by cloning the image then apply the effect.
    Yes, many thanks, that works! Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre, but it works . By bizarre I mean: I'm editing a copy, but the original is magically changing and that's what I export because the copy will export an unwanted border that doesn't show in the editing screen, but which is the only effect not appearing on the original! I'll call that 'editing by proxy'.

I find with the Xara Designer Pro s/w that there are many unusual things which are completely different to s/w such as CorelDRAW, PaintshopPro, AutoCAD, et al. I'm a logical thinker (I think ) and have no major troubles using all manner of creative software but I can't seem to get a feel for the logic behind some of the tricky techniques to employ in XDP. I can't help feeling that I'm not alone.

Never mind, wish I could have a delete post feature.
    Just PM me and let me know which post you want to delete. Right click on the post # and Copy Link Location.

I agree Jay. That particular FX extends the width of the original image by what appears to be several copies with variable transparencies applied (I could be totally wrong though). I originally tried exporting it with a transparent rectangle behind it and whilst it exported at the correct size it still had transparencies applied to the left/right edges. That's how I came up with the cloned copy behind it.

To see how odd this FX can act try using a 50px horizontal setting.

It's another one of these 'work-rounds' which we shouldn't need to use
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    To see how odd this FX can act try using a 50px horizontal setting.
    Just got 'round to trying that... what a disgrace! Shame on you Xara Note to Xara: How about fixing these filters for use in the 21st century? I'd like a fully working program for my upgrade money.

Bronto is offline Xara Group Ltd Content Producer Member

Not sure if this will work for you, but I've had this problem and my fix was to open the Page Options dialog (Right-click on a bit of empty page and select it from the context menu). Then in the Grid and Ruler tab make the Major spacing 50px and the Number of subdivisions 50px. Now go into the View tab and check the Never smooth tick box in the Bitmaps section. Don't forget to hit apply to save changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronto View Post
    ...make the Major spacing 50px and the Number of subdivisions 50px...
    I think you meant 50px/50 subdivisions. Those settings and never smooth didn't affect the border issues caused by the soften filter for me though.

Bronto is offline Xara Group Ltd Content Producer Member

Yes sorry - 50px/50. I was exporting pngs, and often used to get the border artifact thing, I found that this fixed the problem. I can't comment on the soften filter issue though.