Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to avoid these background border lines?

I haven't figure out yet how to avoid these, images can have the same size and be centered or outlined to the border, usually you only get these ugly lines after exporting the image, or in the editor only with certain zoom levels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35412545.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	119349

Before exporting is it neccesary to group elements? (does not make a difference however) How do professionals avoid these lines?

Default Re: How to avoid these background border lines?

Are you using whole-pixel dimensions when you create the image? Another thing that might help is to place the graphics on top of a white background when you create the .png/.jpeg.

What are whole-pixel dimensions?

Select the object with the Selector Tool and check if the values W (Width of Selection) and H (Height of Selection) in the toolbar are whole pixels (no decimals). Images on screens are shown in whole pixels, which means that decimals are rounded to whole numbers and, therefore, such images may contain some 'noise' (anti-aliasing artifacts) around the edges.

And also, before you export your bitmap, make sure the position of the page setting is in even pixel amounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Position on page.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	119354  

Also, please post in the appropriate forum. I have moved this to Web Design Chat.

And also, before you export your bitmap, make sure the position of the page setting is in even pixel amounts.
    Gary, never found that makes one iota of difference. Only the width/height size matters.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gary, never found that makes one iota of difference. Only the width/height size matters.
    Oh, OK you're right.

Try this: Just open a 1024x576 bmp file with Designer, now apply the Soften Filter > Soft Focus effect with a horizontal radius of 1 and vertical radius of 0 pixels. You'll notice that the dimensions of the bitmap have not changed in the Selector tool's status bar and there is no border visible, but the origin has changed to X=2 and Y=1 pixels (which doesn't add up). Now Export it as a bmp with a new name or just save the original. If you re-open it in Designer it has no border, but if you open it in say, Paintshop Pro it does show the new border and it's dimensions are now shown truly as 1026 x 578! Designer is supposed to be WYSIWYG, but clearly is not in this case.

I have never had any other bitmap editor that changes the dimensions of the file or added an ugly border, no matter what filtering has been done. This is highly undesirable behaviour and I think its high time it was fixed. Just fyi... I chose 1024x576 as the dimensions of a 16x9 video frame (which I work with a fair bit) and .bmp as the format because it is uncompressed, thus cleaner. I chose the soften filter with the particular settings because it very nicely gets rid of jaggies. Unfortunately, the border makes the file unusable and I don't have time to fiddle, I just need something that works. I also have to say that the Soften Filter and a lot of the other so-called 'live' effects are incredibly s-l-o-w. I don't see the point in paying fancy amounts for sub-standard performance and unusable results. In Designer I should be able to open a bitmap, clean it up a bit, add an artistic title and save it out to be imported back into the video edit software in a matter of seconds with no unwanted artifacts.

Jaydear, this seems a perfect post for Dear Xara.