Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Designer Updated

I don't think it will work like this -- yet -- because the Auto Fit and Create Variant commands are not yet integrated. When you do Auto Fit, you don't have the Live Copy links; and when you do the Create Variant, you don't have the contents fitted to the variant page.

I tried it and it kind of works.

Now you can make a tutorial!

Info Re: Xara Web Designer Updated

This is my feedback on updating to v15 of Xara Web Designer (Premium):

• Do not deactivate or uninstall v12; the one you have been using up to this update.
      • This of it as a get out of jail free card should v15 fail or have unexpected bugs.
      • You can keep both and run both at the same time.

• Check if your v12 is 32-bit or 64-bit by opening v12 and checking the Help > About if it says x32 or x64.
    • Search out your licence number (P3-six groups of 5 digits) now - it will be in your purchase email or possibly as sticker on the back of the DVD that you may have purchased.
      • I tried logging into Xara for a list of my bought Xara products and licences - this is now all handled by MAGIX. Please log into your MAGIX account. There you can see your registered products and their serials.

• You get a MAGIX Installer, where you have to enter your serial number, and which you then run to download your upgrade.
      • MAGIX will prompt you to further download their PC tuning application - I know of no reason to do this so decline.

• There is a percentage progress bar and the download appears to stop at 50%. The download has occurred and is waiting for you to click to continue. This option might be hidden behind other screens.
      • I advise close everything other than your browser.
      • Close any other Xara applications.
      • Watch out for a flashing icon on the taskbar.
      • Many install problems arise from the update being unable to replace library files that are in use (a common MS Windows problem) so a reboot is often advised.

• If all works, you have a Desktop icon that will ask you to register with purchase email address and licence number.
      • Mine remembered the email from my v12 installation.

• *You should now have a working application - with no templates or design.
    • Open a new web page.
    • Pin the Local Designs gallery.
      • Right-click (Components, Websites, Social Media, Presentations) in turn and select Download All.
        • The Websites download will take the longest.
          • Files will start to appear in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\15\Cache\de signs\eng
          • I advise burning the Cache folder and contents to a DVD.
          • Total size is 2.38GB.

• Next, go to Help > Download content installer.
      • "The content installer adds additional content that is not included in the free trial. That includes additional fill styles for the Fill Gallery and more spell checking dictionaries for other languages. It does not include any content for the Content Catalog / Designs Gallery - this is downloaded instantly on demand, but it does install into Windows fonts that are used by that content."
      • Another MAGIX Installer.
      • I would leave the Installation files on your PC.
      • The Content Pack download is 46MB.

• Re-open Xara Web Designer (Premium).

You are good to go.
    Last edited by ddmagix; 30 November 2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

logging onto the xara website with my magix credentials serial numbers were there back to ver 7; can't remember haw far back it went before
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    logging onto the xara website with my magix credentials serial numbers were there back to ver 7; can't remember haw far back it went before
    perhaps you bought all yours through MAGIX?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

nope...

the only thing I have bought from Magix is Music Maker; all Xara product, I bought from Xara site - I used same email address and it would no longer accept my xara password [though I guess I might have remembered it wrong]; magix password was fine...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This is my feedback on updating to v15 of Xara Web Designer (Premium):

• Do not deactivate or uninstall v12; the one you have been using up to this update.
      • This of it as a get out of jail free card should v15 fail or have unexpected bugs.
      • You can keep both and run both at the same time.

• Check if your v12 is 32-bit or 64-bit by opening v12 and checking the Help > About if it says x32 or x64.
    • Search out your licence number (P3-six groups of 5 digits) now - it will be in your purchase email or possibly as sticker on the back of the DVD that you may have purchased.
      • I tried logging into Xara for a list of my bought Xara products and licences - this is now all handled by MAGIX and all are gone.

• Use this download link: http://www.xara.com/web-designer/download/ and choose x32/x64 for WD/WD Premium.

• You get a MAGIX Installer, which you then run to download your upgrade.
      • MAGIX will prompt you to further download their PC tuning application - I know of no reason to do this so decline.

• There is a percentage progress bar and the download appears to stop at 50%. The download has occurred and is waiting for you to click to continue. This option might be hidden behind other screens.
      • I advise close everything other than your browser.
      • Close any other Xara applications.
      • Watch out for a flashing icon on the taskbar.
      • Many install problems arise from the update being unable to replace library files that are in use (a common MS Windows problem) so a reboot is often advised.

• If all works, you have a Desktop icon that will ask you to register with purchase email address and licence number.
      • Mine remembered the email from my v12 installation.

• You should now have a working application - with no templates or design.
    • Open a new web page.
    • Pin the Local Designs gallery.
      • Right-click (Components, Websites, Social Media, Presentations) in turn and select Download All.
        • The Websites download will take the longest.
          • Files will start to appear in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\15\Cache\de signs\eng
          • I advise burning the Cache folder and contents to a DVD.
          • Total size is 2.38GB.

• Next, go to Help > Download content installer.
      • "The content installer adds additional content that is not included in the free trial. That includes additional fill styles for the Fill Gallery and more spell checking dictionaries for other languages. It does not include any content for the Content Catalog / Designs Gallery - this is downloaded instantly on demand, but it does install into Windows fonts that are used by that content."
      • Another MAGIX Installer.
      • I would leave the Installation files on your PC.
      • The Content Pack download is 46MB.

• Re-open Xara Web Designer (Premium).

You are good to go.
    I could be wrong on this, but to keep your version 12 you need to select a custom directory when installing or it will overwrite the existing version.

I have WDP12 - I haven't downloaded V15, but looking at the Magix "new features" page, they are:
    - 10 Photo filters and overlays - all available in the online content catalogue in v12
    - 1 milion photo and illustrations - I didn't count how many are available under v 12
    - Magic resize - could be useful on occasion
    - Smart shapes - already exist in the content catalogue
    - 24 new web templates - some are quite nice - btw the Music StudioX example shows multiple menus....
    - Panorama photo slider - which I was asking about - assuming the horizontal and vertical dimensions can be changed independently
    - Would love to know how this works:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seo.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	119376
    Are the above worth a $50 upgrade - IMHO, I don't think so.

Some of the fixes I was hoping for:
    -Fixed the so called "smart photo grids" -pic order on pop-up is really a PITA) -see this post - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...rt-Photo-Grids
    -Allow drop-down menus to use Google fonts - not just the limited "web safe" ones
    -All software to work on 4k screens
    -The ability to create text slides where the text remains text and is searchable

Quote Originally Posted by bkjohns View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but to keep your version 12 you need to select a custom directory when installing or it will overwrite the existing version.
    since this release is a new version: 15 - it should now install as before without the need for a custom directory to preserve your existing 12

[versions 13 and 14 appear to have gone the way of windows 9 - never let out into the wild ]
    Nothing lasts forever...