Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of memory

Default Out of memory

XARA webdesigner premium 11 and 12 is showing out of memory error. All images are decreased in size, as Xara is offering for support. Any tips to work-around? Thanks.

Default Re: Out of memory

Hi,

Try going to Utilities > Web Properties > Website and at the bottom, uncheck the option 'Retina Hi Def Images'. Try exporting now and see if you get a memory error?

If so, the other option would be to split your website between multiple files and upload them to the same server.

Thanks
    Rob

Thank you so much Rob. Unchecking 'Retine HD Images' solves the problem. But it also is visible in lower image quality (to be expected). How to export the document in multiple files? Can you help me with a clear step by step manual? I searched very much and couldn't find a solution. Thanks.

You shouldn't see a decrease in quality unless you a viewing your website on a retina device. Xara will only show the high resolution image if the screen it is displaying it on can support it (otherwise users would see no difference and the website would take longer to download). If you are using a retina screen then unfortunately ya there will be a difference.

To split your file into multiple .web files:

1. Open your website file and go to File -> Save as.. and rename your file, to add _02 at the end of the filename

You now have 2 identical files, your original website file and your renamed file ending _02.

2. You have open your _02 file, so delete the first half of the pages. Now save the file and close it.

3. Open your original file and delete the pages that remain in the _02 file (the last half of pages). Now save the file.

You now have 2 files that make up your website. The original file contains the first half of pages, the _02 file contains the second half of pages.

4. For the continued design of your site bear in mind that not all pages are in the same file, therefore to link to pages that are designed in a different website document you need to type the page name into the Link to Web or Email Address field in the Web Properties dialog.

Eg. If your contact page is stored in the original file and you have a link to your contact page from the _02 file, you need to edit that link. Put the bullet point in Link to Web or Email Address and type contact.htm

5. When you have completed the design of your site in both files, I'd suggest creating a new folder somewhere easily accessible on your computer to export your files to.

Then, export both files to the same export folder. You do need to ensure that no pages in either of the files have the same name applied, otherwise they will overwrite each other.

6. Make sure that you browse your files locally in your web browser to ensure that all links work correctly. Edit the .web file and re-export to the same folder if they don't.

7. You can publish the site directly from Web Designer, or use an external FTP tool as normal.

Thank you. I'll try this out. I wrote about downgrade of images. I use a 1920 x 1080 screen and noticed decreased image quality when unchecking the retina option.

This does naturally mean that you would be looking after 2 files, and if those files have variants 4 and so on. I would suggest splitting your website nearing the completion of it.

Personally, I would also recommend looking at getting a 64 bit computer in the future as well, as apps and operating systems in general become more and more memory intensive :)

It worked to export and upload in 2 sections. A few remaining questions:

- sidemap.xml contains only the last section and not all pages. Downgrade for SEO. Do you know a work-around?
    - Files (pictures, scripts and style sheets) are located in two folders in stead of one. index_htm_files & otherpage_htm_files. Is this a problem?

Thanks again for your support. very helpful.

You would have to create your own sitemap unfortunately, but otherwise if you don't fancy stitching the two sitemaps together you could generate one from the many generators out there: https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

File's split between 2 folders generally isn't a problem as such but can be a inefficient, and more work for you to maintain but otherwise users won't see any difference.

For the near future I decided to work in one single .web file and only split for the export. 64 bit computer is the next step. Many thanks again for the work-arounds. After 6 month of website creating I was lost when the file didn't export anymore.

No worries. I think it will save you a lot of hassle not just with Xara :)

p.s. 64bit with at least 8Gb of RAM :)