Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara ... sometimes too difficult

In the past years I 've collected:
    Magix Foto Story
    Magix Video de Luxe
    Magix Web Designer Premium
    Xara age & Layout Designer
    the longest one : Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, for me from the version Xara 5.
    The first and the last, I used the most : Foto and Photo ;-)

Video and Webdesigner the most difficult.
    Mostly I am working with Wordpress websites, more then 20 active at this moment.
    For seo reasons and keeping the page light and use more nice pictures, I need some help by making a page exported as a jpg. People can click on a link, and the weight is not negative for the underlaying page.

It would be nice to make some pages, so I used the Web Designer, not for complete domain, but one single page. Me and the Webdesigner, we didn't understand each other, so I stopped using.

Made a page and saved as a .xar, and the export as .html , hey .......... that's working.

BUT .........the same html file in the root, in a domain without wordpress, it works like a charm , see the file.
    And this files in a domain with wordpress, does not work at all.
    Error message : not found (404) from Wordpress and display a textfile from the page in a seperate tab in Firefox browser.

More people knowing about conflicts between Wordpress installation and a html file ( looking for pictures, css, and so in a subdirectory ) ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiddersprongAltenahr-screenshot-30procent.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	119298  

Default Re: Xara ... sometimes too difficult

I have moved this thread to Xara Web Design Chat.

I am very confused.

Do you want to add or replace a page to your WordPress website that you made in Web Designer?

Web Designer automatically saves the page with .htm If you want the page to save with .html you have to change the page name in Web Properties > Page Filename to pagename.html

HOWEVER Xara exports the page and also exports a folder, pagename_html_files. (Pagename is what you have named the page, this is usually index)

So both the html page and the folder have to be in the root directory to that the text and photos will appear and be in the right places.

I see a lot of confusion ;-)

[1] Stopped with Webdesigner Premium, too difficult. I don't know what the software is expecting for information in which place. Making the content is difficult enough.
    Only use Photo and Graphic Designer 365 = 12.
    Made a page in Photo & Graphic Designer, saved in format .xar and exported it as html. Wich results in one html file and one subdirectory with files and pictures.
    Copied with filezilla ftp to the website in the root, both.

[2] Two different existing websites:
    A id-tje = test website, no content, no wordpress, only an index.html and another testcase. File is shown correctly.

B travel website for 98% filled with Wordpress and holding about 500 pages / posts.

in both websites html file is in the root, subdirectory with the same name is located in the root.

The software HTML-Kit Tools is capable of detecting text-differences into the 2 html display files , result : no diferrence between the two.

So the only difference between the two domains is Wordpress in the travel website.
    This page should be found by url, not from Wordpress.

I could understand, if the html file was asking - for instance - for a CSS file; if not found, should lead to an error message.
    The content of both directories is 15 files, 6 pictures and 9 files like css, exactly the same in 2 filezilla windows.
    Now I'm at the end of my knowledge.........

purpose of this html file is to make clear subjects without violating the seo aspects of a specific wordpress page. Display of a local legend for example, as in this case.

It's that simple :-)

Well Xara Web Designer and WordPress operate in two very different ways.

Web Designer is a visual design solution. You put your content on the page where you want it and Web Designer writes the code. But Web Designer is not an HTML editor. It is possible to add script and code to your page with "placeholders." (See Help > Index > Placeholder Objects).

As I said in my first response, Web Designer by default adds .htm to the end of the file name. WordPress adds .html. If you have two files, one about_us.htm and about_us.html, the browser will display the .html version.

If you simply want to make a page you designed say in P&LD, just export it as a .jpeg upload it to your wordpress folder and create a link to that .jpeg
    Just remember that a page with text exported as a jpeg is not searchable by google