Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default select my own browser

Xara, I assume your reading this? I want to select my own browser in web designer etc.. not Internet explorer. I prefer chrome to be the one that opens up first.

Default Re: select my own browser

Hi,
    On my system when I preview the 'site' I get a row of 'browsers' to choose from and select the one I want..but I blieve
    that it takes you to windows 10 default browser chioce
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Yes I get that too but before that you get to see your output in explorer, I want that to be changed.

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	119284

Totally agree that we should have control of whatever browser we wish to preview the xara output in. At present previewing output in IE? (default) can look crap, but in a more up to date browser looks great. It can send you up blind alleys in an attempt to smooth out display that is already accommodated for in the latest browsers.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I find that Windows 10 has ie Explorer as the default each time you update the Windows System. You have to enter windows settings page>Default apps then select the browser you want to be default. when I preview a page I create I get this with the choice of browsers along the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Preview.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	119285  
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Xara also forces the use of IE through the content catalogue. When searching for images from pixabay you only get 3 pages no matter how broad your search term that is a limit set by pixabay. Each page however has a link to the pixabay site where you can find many more results That link opens in IE no matter what your default browser and IE opens up a new tab infront of the pixabay tab telling you it's better to use Edge!

Xara needs to do away with IE completely and if it's not possible to use the default browser on your computer then at least use Edge which receives updated and support
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I believe it is down to the way in which the program uses IE internally - if so then that is another re-coding task that may not be straightforward/easy

not just xara that was built in part, on software that is now being depricated

I use Harmony, and if you run that on windows you need quicktime if you want to view the rendered animation internally - apple discontinued quicktime support for windows ages ago, but still no way round this..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I believe it is down to the way in which the program uses IE internally - if so then that is another re-coding task that may not be straightforward/easy.
    Pretty much this. Xara uses an IE API to connect to the internet / download content / update / activate and preview. I'm not even sure how possible it would be to change over the API but it would take a tremendous amount of development time and testing to make sure it works perfectly.

Maybe as a thought what might be an easier solution in the meantime is perhaps an option somewhere to open the preview automatically within a browser of choice?

Yes an option that once set is permanent until changed again.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I get that it would take a lot of time and effort to make the change but what is going to happen if new versions of windows come out with IE no longer a part of it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.