Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Zara Designer Pro X refuses to load.

Hi,
    I have Zara Designer Pro X, at version 12.8.0.50771.

This morning when I clicked on the desktop shortcut to start the program I get a 'Magix', (ie not Xara) dialog stating that "The program cannot be started, the installation folder may be damaged etc. etc. quoting error code -72".

If I log off as a user and log on as Admin or as another user, everything works as it should, so I guess its the user account that's corrupt, and not the installation - or is something else going on?

Any ideas as to how I correct this issue as I can't get my head around the 'new' Magix support system?

Steve

Default Re: Zara Designer Pro X refuses to load.

Hi Steve

I have moved this thread to the Xara (with an X) Graphic Chat forum. When you get a second can you update your profile to indicate you are using Designer Pro X-12?

I get this error when I try to launch older versions on my computer. What I normally do is go to C:/Program Files/Xara and navigate to the Designer Pro.exe file and double click on that file.

Try this. Delete the shortcut. Then navigate to this .exe file, and either create a new shortcut or add it to the Taskbar. I have my shortcut on the taskbar.

Let us know if this works.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the advice, I've updated my profile as requested.

I've deleted the shortcut, if I double click on the exe file, it still shows the error - there is a quick flash of the Zara flash screen but nothing happens after that.

I've also reinstalled from the last update download, the error still occurs - am I being 'punished' for not renewing my subscription?

A admin login still works, as does 'run as administrator'.

Steve

You only need to use Run as Administrator one time. So if this does not fix the problem then it is something else.

You are not being punished. The only thing that happens when your subscription runs out is you no longer have access to the contents of the Online Content Catalog.

I wonder if your security software might be the culprit here?

You can also file a support ticket with Xara. https://support.xara.com

if you need to 'run as administrator' everytime, then go back to your program .EXE file, rightclick and select properties and then the compatibility tab - at the bottom you should see a box 'run this program as an administrator', tick this to force the program to be run as administrator everytime...

pS - you can do this for your shortcut too, if necessary
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi,
    Thanks for all the advice, I have raised a support ticket and am now awaiting a response.
    Steve

OK. Give them a few days. Xara is a smallish company.

I agree with Gary in that, it is likely a security permissions issue on this one user and could be down to a third security program if the program runs ok 'as administrator' and/or with the properties changed to force that - there again, it could be a windows issue if say the permissions have somehow been changed in the OS

Be interesting to hear what the company response is...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...