Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slideshow for text content

My client has found a feature on another website that he wants to incorporate on his website. It appears to be a small slideshow with only text content. My initial reply to him was that it is a bad idea because it's the only content on the page and was created with SEO in mind. To put it in a slideshow it would not be exported out as text. However, the website he saw does appear to be text ... meaning you can put your cursor on that slideshow and copy the content.

Do we have a slideshow that would work like that for text content? Or is there another feature that I'm not aware of that would have this look? A scrolling text box is not the look they want for this section. Here is a link to example page. It's a 1 page website design so to get to the slideshow, you have to scroll down and click on any of the 6 boxes at the bottom ... the slideshow opens up above the boxes.

http://www.diehlgroup.com/

Thank you!

Default Re: Slideshow for text content

The easiest way to achieve this is create bitmaps of your text and images. Then create your slide show.

Here's a sample http://gwpriester.com/text-slides/

I made the first image for each of the three slides almost grayscale. If you left both images the same (no grayscale) then the text would just appear to fade into the slide.

I used Visual Slideshow to create my slide show http://visualslideshow.com/

It's a bit of work getting this into Xara but not really rocket science. And you can make your slides any size you want.

1. Create your slide images.
    2. Create your slide show and publish the slideshow to a folder.
    3. In Xara create a placeholder the size of the slide show.
    4. Open the index.html file with Notepad and copy the head portion of the script into the Head section of the placeholder and copy the body portion into the Body section of the place holder.
    5. Publish your page to your web host's server.
    6. Use Filezilla or a stand alone FTP application to copy and paste the Data and Engine folders to the root directory of your site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slides.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	119252  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Very peaceful to watch.

I used Visual Slideshow to create my slide show http://visualslideshow.com/
    Malwarebytes showed 7 warnings when I scanned the program after downloading it, so I didn't install it, even though it looks quite interesting.

Hmm? Odd. I wonder if the free version as adware in the download? I have noticed this with other free versions of programs. The free version also displays a link at the bottom of the slideshow. I paid for mine so no adverts.

You could also create a presentation and include it in an IFRAME.

Ditto Siran,

Not a presentation here but a supersite within an iframe. Text remains as text and is selectable

DEMO
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the effort Egg. Was just about to create a demo too. Noticed that a supersite might be the better option because the keyboard hint isn't displayed for that.

Difference between my demo & Alliefans is that the menu animates with the text, which his (?) doesn't. I prefer mine but that's a personal choice. You'd need some JS or CSS to keep a static menu...
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hmm? Odd. I wonder if the free version as adware in the download? I have noticed this with other free versions of programs. The free version also displays a link at the bottom of the slideshow. I paid for mine so no adverts.
    Now I'm confused because I can't find a paid version on the site you gave the link to. It says: "Free website maker comes free of charge for both personal or commercial use - forever."