Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is there a way to add some code so that an mp4 video does not need Shockwave Player?

I'm using WD9Premium and after I embed (insert) a small mp4 video clip on a page everything previews ok. I did notice that in the edit menu when I looked at the code it employs Shockwave Player to run the video.
    This is a problem since many hate the Shockwave player and an error pops up when the page goes live due to the usual Shockwave Player errors and warnings etc.

Why does it use the Shockwave Player? It's awful. I understand that WD9P is a bit older.....but can I force it not t use the player?

Also,..I might add that I do NOT want player controls to
    appear anyway so is that all the Shockwave player is used for? if so,...can I just delete the code that it refers to? (which lines of code can be removed?)

Any assistance would be great here.

Thanks so much.

Todd

Default Re: Is there a way to add some code so that an mp4 video does not need Shockwave Play

I think V12 uses the media element js plugin ( http://www.mediaelementjs.com/ ). You could use it in V9 also but have to manually create your placeholder and attach the video, js and optional css files...
    I could try to create an example in V10 if you like (no guarantee though).
    In the past I have used video.js, could try to find an example of that.

Default Re: Is there a way to add some code so that an mp4 video does not need Shockwave Play

Here is a video.js example that might be somewhat close to what you need.
    It has a video file attached to a text line group but the video file could also be added to a support folder.
    There is a placeholder defining the area where the video will be placed.
    The placeholder has code at the body as well as the head.
    If you colne the placeholder make sure to remove the head part from all but one of the placeholders, or completely move that coder to the page or website head section.
    The body part of the placeholder defines the video tag itself (this is where you have to adjust the video file name in the source section) and a script that starts and stops the video, depending on its visibility in the browser window (only the vertical position is checked).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is the same thing using the media element js plugin.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Siran,

WOW! That certainly gives me something to mess around with. I was resorting to a gif of the video,..but oddly enough,..the gif file was 40mb. The original mp4 was just 7mb. I was fearful that perhaps the user's browser would choke on the 40mb gif file and it would hang....and the
    video seemed to be the best route....(which lead me to the stupid Shockwave player warnings etc...)

Your solution may prove most beneficial. I will see if I can copy and paste the code and make it work. It just has to play 15 seconds and done. No audio either.

thanks,

Todd

If you don't want to loop it might be best to replace "loop" with "autoplay" (without double quotes) in the video tag and to completely remove the code (everyting starting from <script> to the end of the placeholder body code) in both examples.
    If you still want to delay the start until the placeholder comes into view this can also be done with a little change of the code.
    Just post again if you come across some problems.