Graphixboy -

I'm not surprised by your response at all. I posted this question on several design forums and have gotten a lot of feedback.

I seems as if design schools are scrambling to keep up with the latest technology and passing on many essential elements for a well rounded design education. Color theory, as you mentioned, seems to be missing in many education programs. Other areas that seem to not be of importance to many design programs are basic design theory, graphic design from any kind of historical perspective, an in depth study of typography, and any education relating to the pre-press aspects of printing. Print is still a very viable design field and all designers should have the knowledge and ability to prepare a piece for traditional or digital printing. In addition, few graphic designers coming out of school are truly prepared for the business side of graphic design - especially marketing and self-promotion. Design education programs need to be so much more than "how to use software."

Jeff Fisher
Engineer of Creative Identity

Jeff Fisher LogoMotives
http://www.jfisherlogomotives.com