Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This past Friday I was invited to speak to the students in a new Art Careers program at the high school from which I graduated 27 years ago. An interesting question came up in the discussion following my presentation:

"How did your education from design school/college fail you in preparing you for a career as a graphic designer?"

Having been out of college 21 years I think I have overcome most of the issues of not being prepared for a design career. However, I would be very interested in the experiences of others.

- Jeff

Jeff Fisher
    Engineer of Creative Identity

Jeff Fisher LogoMotives
    http://www.jfisherlogomotives.com

This is a really interesting slant to the whole Q&A deal - I hope you get some feedback that's just AS interesting. Especially since I'm pondering making a return to school myself.

Hey Jeff, I'm a student right now but I'm starting to see some areas that might not work out later.

I find that the school wants to keep jumping to the next latest thing in technology from print to HTML to Flash to 3D etc instead of teaching us the hard core principals of design. for example the program doesn't offer a color theory class at all.

It seems kind of annoying to learn how to how to make an image in the 5 newest programs if my image regardless of the medium can't communicate the right idea.

Sorry I'm venting but its a great question and i hope its making some people think a bit.

-graphixboy

Graphixboy -

I'm not surprised by your response at all. I posted this question on several design forums and have gotten a lot of feedback.

I seems as if design schools are scrambling to keep up with the latest technology and passing on many essential elements for a well rounded design education. Color theory, as you mentioned, seems to be missing in many education programs. Other areas that seem to not be of importance to many design programs are basic design theory, graphic design from any kind of historical perspective, an in depth study of typography, and any education relating to the pre-press aspects of printing. Print is still a very viable design field and all designers should have the knowledge and ability to prepare a piece for traditional or digital printing. In addition, few graphic designers coming out of school are truly prepared for the business side of graphic design - especially marketing and self-promotion. Design education programs need to be so much more than "how to use software."

Jeff Fisher

Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

Hi, Jeff:

Took me a while to get back to this thread to see if anyone had answered your question. I was very interested in your feedback since I only took one semester at an Art Institute back in the middle ages, but didn't finish. At that time, the first three "required" classes for graphic design were photography, illustration, and drafting, with the fourth an elective (okay, this was in the 70's). We started at ground zero in all classes (e.g., we made "pinhole" cameras in photography and were only allowed to do B&W...although I snuck in color and developed it at home) and I have to say just those basic levels helped when I finally got to the computer because I "knew" without thinking too much about it what looked right and what didn't. I was hired by a graphics firm with no experience because I had the software they used (CorelDRAW) and the "eye" which can't be really taught in a classroom.

Now I see looking at the jobs that are out there, the schools aren't all to blame for moving towards more software orientation than design basics; everyone wants their new hires to have an "AdobeMacroWinTelMac" degree (PC is okay, prefer Mac, gotta have Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash). Yet, the people that I've talked to or heard from say once you get in, it's not the software, it's what you do with the tools you use. Many just load up their "off-brand" software at their jobs without more than an initial protest and their employers end up not caring and are happy with the results.

How would you suggest a perspective student balance out the desires of the marketplace with the realities of actually getting the work done, on time (is there such a thing?) and on budget? What kind of classes would you advise them to take, if they had their choice of class schedule?

Thanks for this interesting and thought-provoking thread.

smorg -

When I was in school, at a state university 25 years ago, I thought I was missing out on a lot because I couldn't afford to go to a design/art specific school. It didn't take me long to find out that my much more varied university education was a huge asset - and that design specific schools were not necessarily all they promoted themselves to be.

From over 20 years experience, conversations over the years with my peers, reviewing student resumes/portfolios and posting this question on several forums the general consensus seems to be:

Most schools do not adequately prepare their graduates for the realities of beginning a career - or in some cases even getting a job! - once they leave school.

• Most individuals leaving school have no basic understanding of graphic design as a business

• Many designers getting out of school have little understanding, or ability, to successfully market and promote themselves. In some cases this is as basic as being able to present a portfolio in a professional manner.

• A lot of designers have little, or no, historical perspective on graphic design, typography or media.

• There seems to be little preparedness to interact will "real world" clients. This includes obtaining the necessary information from clients, acting upon those needs/desires to create what will be successful for that client, and justifying/conveying that information to the client as a professional business person.

• Many newly graduated designers are so familiar with the praise heaped on them since their first art class in grade school that they are not prepared for the harsh reality of client or employer critques. Yes, it may be great design - as far as you are concerned - but it's not successful design unless it it meeting the goals set forth for the project.

You posted: "people that I've talked to or heard from say once you get in, it's not the software, it's what you do with the tools you use." That is very true. A quick fix series of software courses will not necessarily make someone a great designer - just as a keyboard does not necessarily make its user a great writer. Software programs are just tools - and you most likely have an edge if you know how to make use of them well. Those combining the technical skills with their talent, knowledge, and "eye" will be the most successful.

I think a lot of design students need to demand more from their schools. They are the consumer in this case and they should be getting what they feel they are paying for from any educational institution. I think some "design schools" are taking their students for a ride. They are sending "technicians" out into the world thinking they are designers. Industry job placement by a school should not include part-time positions at a Kinko's. What is with such a school not assisting students with internship placements because they are not required for a student to graduate?(This is something that came up today and just annoys the hell out of me - basically the school was not being paid to make an internship placement, so it is not of importance to them.) I could go on and on....

I think it comes down to the students making sure they get the education they require to be a marketable commodity. If this requires taking business classes in addition to design courses, it should be done. If it means taking a seminar from the Small Business Administration or a local Small Business Development Center, so be it. If the school is not giving a student a thorough education in pre-press (loading a file on a disk IS NOT pre-press) perhaps the student should seek out an internship at a service bureau or printer (No matter what people may hear, print is not dead and a good understanding of print processes will help make someone a better designer.) In addition, I am constantly reading everything I can get my hands on and making myself aware of all aspects of design around me. Designers can not expect a school to prepare them totally for a career in the big, bad world. It just doesn't happen. However, those with the most well-rounded education, and the intiative to learn what they don't know, will be successful.

I also don't understand the designers who think their education ended when they graduated from school. If that was the case I would still be using a pencil, T square, x-acto knife and hot wax. Any day you are not learning something to further your career, or knowledge base, is a day wasted.

Getting back to my first statement: I am SO thankful for my state university education. My education background in business, art history, literature, english, world history, journalistic writing, public relations, advertising design, history of religion, publication design, marketing and so many other topics all prepared me to be a better designer and provided me with a wealth of knowledge I make use of all the time.

Jeff Fisher

Jeff Fisher LogoMotives

I hope everyone who reads this thread, prints it out and tacks it on the wall next to their monitors! I know I am. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Since I don't have the "degree," I've been kicking around the idea of going back to school, but I'm actually working full-time, so getting out to even look at the schools available is a trial. When you just graduate, from any school or from any program, it's all too easy to think someone else is going to take care of you (i.e., a REALLY big firm where you'll be making six figures in five months) and needing to know the business side just doesn't occur to most students. Having worked at UCLA, it seems that the only ones who take marketing and business skills seriously are the MBA/JD-MBAs (law-business students), because most of them have already been out there and have seen the light.

Once again, much food for thought.

BTW, thanks for not pointing out that "perspective" should have been "prospective!" Egads!

I think that the main problem is that they lack of good teachers, and programs. Experienced designers will not go for a teacher low salary. Schools are not willing to pay what an experience designer/teacher cost.

Two weeks ago, I visited a Graphic Designer school. The director told me that now the school is going to produce good designers, because they invested a lot of money in Cube Mac's. I feel sorry for the students. They don't know that they should learn typography rules, color theory, perspective, perceptions, art history, photography, etc. They are learning application manuals.

Dan Margulis has been in Puerto Rico three times teaching his Color Theory intensive course. Every time he finish the course I ask students if they know how to correct images before. No one has answered yes. Some of them with more than 17 years in the industry, and head of publishing agencies, newspapers, print shops, and SB's.

Graphic designer schools should contract people as Dan Margulis to help them to prepare their programs, and train their teachers.. When I proposed to the school director that I mentioned before about sending his Photoshop teacher to the course. He was happy to do it, until I told him that the course cost is $1,500. Unfortunately for his students, this school Photoshop teacher is not going to take Margulis course.

Regards

Here's my experience with school:

While taking Commercial Art at Honolulu Community (the program won awards by the way, for having all classes taught by working professionals), I took a typography class. We had a choice of taking computer typesetting or traditional typesetting with an emphasis on the history. My instructor showed the class the different equipment and made it clear that the computer eqipment, then 2 years old, was obsolete already. She also pointed out that any new equipment that they would buy, would also become obsolete as fast. I took the hisorical class, and I'm glad I did. I have a good understanding of the design of letters now.

While taking a computer graphics course at a trade school a few years later, my instructor hinted that, for the $4,000.00 the course cost, we could have bought a nice computer and taught ourselves. I've found this to be true. The knowledge that really benefitted me from this course was about resolutions and file formats. I do wish they had spent more time on color, the difference between additive and subtractive color, the different ways color is handled digitally.

I would never again waste time and money on classes about computer programs. They change so fast, it's not worth it. It's better just to buy the program, after seeing what you all say here at talkgraphics [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. This is an area that is better learned by doing. There are so many free tutorials and there are tons of help files in the programs.

Good design is another thing altogether. This type of instruction is invaluable. Art history is also supremely important.

If I could go back in time I would also take some business courses. I still know nothing about business. Luckily, my new partner (my mom actually) is a bookkeeper [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Now we're gonna kick some butt.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

Sharon, I love your site, especially the texture you've chosen on the home page [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Your skill as an artist is outstanding, but my personal favorite has to be Poetess. Totally cool.

Keep us posted in Site Design and Freelance board when you update. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]