Thumbs down Re: Xara hosting FTP details

For those who are interested, the overall upload timings were:

• sftp://.../index_htm_files/0.gif
      • 07 Sep 2020 @ 19:11:30

• sftp://.../index_htm_files/xr_text.css
      • 08 Sep 2020 @ 01:09:59

• sftp://.../index.xhl
      • 08 Sep 2020 @ 01:11:52

I think 6 hours shows MagiXara has a real problem.

The supposed offer on renewal for one year use of Website M is next to worthless.
    I would like my next renewal to be discounted instead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Xara hosting FTP details

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    For those who are interested, the overall upload timings were:

• sftp://.../index_htm_files/0.gif
      • 07 Sep 2020 @ 19:11:30

• sftp://.../index_htm_files/xr_text.css
      • 08 Sep 2020 @ 01:09:59

• sftp://.../index.xhl
      • 08 Sep 2020 @ 01:11:52

I think 6 hours shows MagiXara has a real problem.

The supposed offer on renewal for one year use of Website M is next to worthless.
    I would like my next renewal to be discounted instead.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for sharing! I've already started to talk to MAGIX.

Best,
    Eva

Lightbulb Re: Xara hosting FTP details

Quote Originally Posted by Eva-K View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for sharing! I've already started to talk to MAGIX.
    Best,
    Eva
    Eva, thank you.

The embarrassment (to me) is I had to request FTP access to a Staging folder on the client's domain so I could prove my work.

Yes, I am fortunate that I have the following approaches:
    1. WinZip Email for larger attachments. For old school who like tangible deliveries.
    2. Cloud share, e.g., Dropbox. Quick and dirty.
    3. XDA publishing to Magix Website M service (!). No SSL either or email or anything but genuinely expected it to work.
    4. Filezilla to the same. I had expected it to be faster but gave up trying.
    5. Xara Cloud > Web Share. Ideal apart from the lack of a useful subdomain name. No FTP route.
    6. FTP to a sub-domain that I own. Probably the safest.
    7. FTP to a client's domain. Useful at staging but i rarely attempt during development.

I note Matt is making encouraging noises around #5. I would probably subscribe into a useful service (CPanel / Linux / email support / domain handling for developer/designer teams & final client delivery).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just a question, How about those images stored for the slide show plugin, are they also stored on slow servers, because my clients website images load slowly and it is effecting SEO

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Just a question, How about those images stored for the slide show plugin, are they also stored on slow servers, because my clients website images load slowly and it is effecting SEO
    I would say yes as it is not available for Xara Pro+, therefore Magix, therefore slow.

Where possible, keep all in the same domain.

Acorn

Keep all in the same domain? How do you mean? It is the plugin that loads the images therefore it stores them with magix, no? Or does it still store the images on my clients server (godaddy) and then it validates it with magix making it slow?

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Keep all in the same domain? How do you mean? It is the plugin that loads the images therefore it stores them with magix, no? Or does it still store the images on my clients server (godaddy) and then it validates it with magix making it slow?
    just don't use Magix servers for anything.

Find a utility that allows you to host on GoDaddy or anything other than Magix.

Acorn

Acorn, I am trying to understand what your saying but I do not get it. I said she has hosting on godaddy, it is the pictures that are used by the slider plugin by xara that are loaded into magix servers. That is the issue. I do not host her site on xara, just the slider is slow.

maybe what acorn is saying is - don't use that plugin [or anything else rooted on magix server[s]], find and use another third party plugin that you can root [host] on your clients server
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, but it seems eveything within xara lately has downfalls. Youtube plugin, slider plugin, you name it... They all really need a look over or a make over however xara wants to look at it LOL, Xara enough with new useless features and more focus on what is not working well please. Still not sure if xara's agenda is run by magix or not.