Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello all you flash gurus out there. Is there a nice way to create a photoshop kind of layer mask(nice blurred edges fading away)in Flash? Sorry for the backdatedness but I use Flash 4.
    thanx in advance
    regards
    axiomvoid
    IP

Hello all you flash gurus out there. Is there a nice way to create a photoshop kind of layer mask(nice blurred edges fading away)in Flash? Sorry for the backdatedness but I use Flash 4.
    thanx in advance
    regards
    axiomvoid
    IP

Customize a radial gradient color, making the outter edges transparent. Create a round or eliptical shape in a layer above the object you want to mask. Flood fill the new shape with the gradient color. Then make that layer a mask. You'll probably have to play around with this for a little while until you get it just the way you want it.

A little different when using squares or rectangles. I usually use the line tool and draw an "X" from corner to corner of the shape and then flood fill each quarter with a linear gradient. Again with the outter edges transparent. Then the lines can be deleted and the shape can be made into a mask.

When using gradient masks in Flash 4, I have noticed that it does not work when masking lines. Lines must be converted to fills before it will mask with the gradient effect.

Don't feel too bad. I still use Flash 4 too. Hope this helps.
    IP

stinger, thanx a lot and sorry for the delay in responding but unlucky that i am, the neat method that you have suggested does not seem to work.Am I making a silly mistake? It would be great if you could have a look at my .fla file. At which e-mail address can i send it to you?
    great expectations:thanx in advance
    axiomvoid
    IP

I neglected to mention that you have to make the gradient shape "the masked" object. Whatever you want to show up as the "gradient masked" object is actually the mask.

I was following my own instructions tonight and realized that I had sort of misled you. That's why I came back here so soon.

Lets say you have text that you want to be masked with a gradient color. The text would actually be the "Mask" instead of the shape. Put the image the you want the gradient mask to appear as on the layer above the gradient shape and make it "the mask".

It took me a while to figure this out (for a second time) so don't feel bad.

Sorry for giving such lucrative instructions.
    IP

If you want to send me the .fla, you can do so by sending it to sfilloon@stingerweb.com. I'd be happy to look at it for you.

I just happened to answer your question before the moderators did. They are much more experienced than I am. If it weren't for them, I'd be stumped. Stay on this forum for knowledge and you'll get it.
    IP

URL with the tutorial on how to achieve the effect:
    http://www.the-stickman.com/tutorial...ientmask.shtml
    I am not sure this is what you need though.

Alex
    IP