Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara & CPU usage

My internet provider is BT and they provide McAffee AV Phil.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Okay Phil. Closed Xara. Rebooted my machine, had to re-import all the Local Design Galleries (again!).

Load time of the Options window is back to 20+ seconds. Internet tab back to the same delay.

Next I'll try uninstalling / reinstalling but I don't hold out much hope,
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That was fun, I had issues finding my installation product code on the new Magix products page but eventually got there

As expected, the Options window takes far to long to load again. The Internet tab same same. My plugin folder remains empty. Fortunately the Local Design Gallery remained populated. The cpu usage remains high.

Hope this helps.
    Egg

Hi Egg,

If you're up for it, could you try the following, please?

Switch to the old light grey interface and see if the Options dialog is quicker to open in that mode. Remember that you will lose all your bar configurations when you make the switch and when you switch back to the darker interface but I'm sure you've got the technology to backup and restore them!

Thanks,

Phil

Phil, would the above experiment also work when temporarily removing the xaradark_theme.xml file (C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\12) and restarting the program? That way, Egg wouldn't lose his current configuration.

Hi again Phil,

Here's the steps I took.

I changed it to light interface.
    Didn't seem to make ant difference first thing
    Still a lot of cpu action & slow load Options.
    Emptied the Internet Cache.
    Closed & restarted XDPX

This is the outcome.
    Tiny to zero use of cpu with no docs open
    Open a new doc
    Similar small to zero cpu action
    Opened the Options window Loaded in 3 secs on the Internet Tab.
    Changed to General Tab. Closed, reopened.
    Loads in 1 sec
    Next I'll change back to the Dark Side and see the results.

Egg

Toggling between the two. Appears to have fixed the slow Options window display but NOT the cpu usage.

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 08 November 2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Egg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark-side-2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	119261  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 08 November 2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Egg

Thanks Egg,

I was hoping that disabling the dark UI might give a much clearer improvement than that. The Options dialog still looks horribly slow to me!

On the CPU usage front: We may have made a breakthrough on that problem. If it works it will be in an upcoming release - we'll let you know.

Thanks for the update Phil.
    Egg