Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara & CPU usage

This matter has been raised before but I wonder if the devs can update us on why inactive Xara still demands a great deal of cpu space?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Xara & CPU usage

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    This matter has been raised before but I wonder if the devs can update us on why inactive Xara still demands a great deal of cpu space?
    Like you Egg, I am running a Intel Core i7 5930K, 32 GBytes and it rarely moves off 0% (max 0.3%, once a minute).

My laptop is another case and it seems to be endless churn.

The other quibble I have is on the laptop, my Bullguard AV rescans on every start-up and I cannot get it to be sensible.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I only have XDP installed on my Toshiba laptop. It too cycles up/down every few seconds. XDP here can go from 0% to as high as 4% when I am not actually doing something inside the application, even when it doesn't have focus. Most cycles according to Task Manager are at or below 1.4%.

Thanks for the replies .

Mine is much worse. Just having Xara open, but no documents loaded and taking no action constantly uses 10% of my cpu usage.
    Loading further documents but again not working on them ups the cpu usage to over 20%.

I just fail to understand why Xara is accessing my cpu during these periods of total inactivity ???

Video attached. No Audio. Having big issues with my sound card (Hooray came the response)

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, Xara must be using your CPU time to manufacture Bitcoins as a source of revenue.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi guys,

We don't completely understand this problem either! Some people see it, some don't. When we debug it we get so far and then the problem spontaneously goes away.

We have made some changes which should improve things and they will be in the next release or the one after (I'm not sure where the fix was in the release cycle).

Egg: If you want you could try this sequence until CPU usage returns to normal:
    * Close Galleries one by one
    * Close the entire gallery system by unchecking "Utilities | Galleries | Fly-out bar" (silly menu item name)
    * With all galleries closed and the gallery system disabled as described above, shutdown and restart the program.

If CPU usage is normal after any point in that sequence try re-enabling the galleries and re-opening them one by one. You may find CPU usage is still normal when you've got them all open again!

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 07 November 2017 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks for the reply Phil. I've tried that with some success but on re introducing the galleries I'm back to square one.
    As for the problem re the Utilities / Options slow start up & the slow internet tab I've know idea if it related. I did have the same problem 2 to 3 releases ago and one of the devs gave me the cure but I can't remember what it was now. I also get a slow response on opening the Local Design Gallery folders.

Egg

Thanks Egg,

I'll ask around to see if your experience fits with the what we know and the fixes we've made.

The Options dialog can be slow to open the first time because it scans all the Photoshop plugins. You could verify that by temporarily removing the paths to the plugin folders, closing down, restarting and testing how fast the Options dialog opens then. (Remember the path locations so you can restore them later, of course!)

Hi again Phil. It's not just the initial opening of the Options window it's every occasion I click to open it. It can take between 15 to 25 seconds to open.

Followed your advice and removed all the plugins. There wasn't a great deal in the first place. See screengrab.

Closed Xara.

Rebooted my machine.

Started Xara.

Utilities / Options still takes an eternity to load.

Once open, clicking on the Internet tab still takes an eternity.

Checked my plugins folder. None present.

Tried one further thing, opened the Internet tab (waited...) & selected Empty Cache.

Took about a minute and a window pops up, states something along the lines that the cache will be repopulated next time I start Xara. The Cache is shown as 0 bytes.

But what is interesting is that now the Utilities / options window loads within a second. Clicking the Internet Tab does likewise.

However I suspect that on closing & restarting the cache will be repopulated & my problems will return.

Just before closing & restarting I thought I'd check the Local Design Gallery to see if this loaded quicker. Unfortunately it was totally blank! Not even a folder display & +More to Download All (which I'd only just done earlier today) Perhaps because I'd cleared the cache?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!!!!!-plugins.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	119253  
    Egg

OK...

What antivirus are you running?

Phil