Good Thursday Morning All,
I now use MECHANIC WEB as a server. I use to use Host Monster but began to have too many problems. I am also using Xara WD 365 Premium and love its usefulness. However, I just attempted to upload a new website to the web. Everything seem to go OK and the upload appeared successful. But, when I put in: www.newpathwaysconsultants.com I got a 404 error. I attempted at least 5 times to publish the new 8 page website, but to no avail. I contacted MECHANIC WEB and was told the following:
"You will need to upload a new version of your website. You can do this using File Manager". To do so, do the following:
1. On your computer, compress your website files using "WinZip" or any other software. Mak sure it has a .zip file extension
2. Log into cPanel
3. Click on File Manager
4. Double click on "public_html"
5. Double click on "newpathwaysconsultant"
6. You are now inside the folder [public_html/newpathwaysconsultants] that will store the website
7. Click on "Upload" (from the top menu)
8. Click on "Select File", select the compressed website file from your computer, click on "Open" it will start uploading
9. When the upload bar reaches 100% the upload is complete. Close this window or go back to the manager.
10. Select the uploaded file and click on "Extract" from the top menu. A message will notify you once the extraction is complete.
11. You now have your new website uploaded.

What a task! First of all, where can I get program to compress my website files? Why can't I just use Xara to upload my website and see it on the web? What is "WinZip" and where can I get it safely on the internet? Does anyone know why my copy of Xara WD 395 won't upload the website files directly? I don't understand. Thanks for all help on this mystery.

bob