Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems Uploading new website using Mechanic Web Server

Good Thursday Morning All,
    I now use MECHANIC WEB as a server. I use to use Host Monster but began to have too many problems. I am also using Xara WD 365 Premium and love its usefulness. However, I just attempted to upload a new website to the web. Everything seem to go OK and the upload appeared successful. But, when I put in: www.newpathwaysconsultants.com I got a 404 error. I attempted at least 5 times to publish the new 8 page website, but to no avail. I contacted MECHANIC WEB and was told the following:
    "You will need to upload a new version of your website. You can do this using File Manager". To do so, do the following:
    1. On your computer, compress your website files using "WinZip" or any other software. Mak sure it has a .zip file extension
    2. Log into cPanel
    3. Click on File Manager
    4. Double click on "public_html"
    5. Double click on "newpathwaysconsultant"
    6. You are now inside the folder [public_html/newpathwaysconsultants] that will store the website
    7. Click on "Upload" (from the top menu)
    8. Click on "Select File", select the compressed website file from your computer, click on "Open" it will start uploading
    9. When the upload bar reaches 100% the upload is complete. Close this window or go back to the manager.
    10. Select the uploaded file and click on "Extract" from the top menu. A message will notify you once the extraction is complete.
    11. You now have your new website uploaded.

What a task! First of all, where can I get program to compress my website files? Why can't I just use Xara to upload my website and see it on the web? What is "WinZip" and where can I get it safely on the internet? Does anyone know why my copy of Xara WD 395 won't upload the website files directly? I don't understand. Thanks for all help on this mystery.

bob

Default Re: Problems Uploading new website using Mechanic Web Server

Bob - Ask them this question. There is no reason to go through these hoops. In the past when connections were slower perhaps this made sense. But today this is silly.

Ask them if it is possible to just upload your site via normal FTP process. If they say no, then maybe you need to find a web host that is more in the 21st century.

Hello GW Priester, I will ask that question and get back to you.

bob

Hello to all again,
    GW Priester, I have heard nothing from "Mechanic Web" Hosting Service regarding a very simple FTP means of uploading my new website files. In the mean time, does anyone know where to go to download a safe "WinZip" program? I don't trust going anywhere on the web without some advice. I will use the WinZip program to see if I can get the new website {www.newpathwaysconsultants.com} up on the web. I am going to see if I can get my wife's website up because she has some real estate classes coming up soon and i've got to get those dates up on the web. Thanks all.

Bob

It's probably easier to use Filezilla and upload the files directly.
    Yes, you can also upload the files using Xara itself.

winzip is here, but it is not free [there is a trial]: http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downwz.html

I use 7zip which is free and will also make .ZIP files: http://www.7-zip.org/

you are right not to want to download from an unofficial site

FTP is a whole load easier as has been said
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Good Thursday Evening HanDrawn,
    I sure do appreciate your response. I will follow up on the information you have provided. And thank you for letting me know about "WinZip costing $$$. I only need a basic program such as 7zip which you suggest. Thank you again.

Robert

Hello again HanDrawn,
    I've downloaded 7zip but can't find any instructions. How do you pick out a file to zip and send somewhere? I just want to grab my newly developed 8 page website and upload it to my cPanel for later uploading to my website to the internet. The file is, www.newpathwaysconsultants.com
    I don't see how to do that yet. The file is on my G drive. Thanks so much.

Robert

Sorry, I gotta ask. Are you using a dial up 2400 baud modem?

Even if you are, dump the hosting company for even suggesting to compress (zip) website files to upload.

To zip files, click on one file and either hold the 'ctrl' button to individually select additional files or hold the shift button and use the down arrow to scroll and select many. Right click to select to zip.