Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default help or advice needed for responsive website

Can anybody explain me please.

I'm new with Xara and bought the webdesigner premium 365 to make myself a new website for the dive center. have done this before with several different programs who now not supporting responsive sites anymore or don't exist at all.

my problem is if I open the Polar adventure theme after downloading from the Xara site and preview this in the website viewer it is not a full screen website? while if I download a template from xaratemplates.com then they are stretched out the full wide of the screen even a 960 pix design fill my whole screen (24inch).

while by the Polar adventure theme and all other templates that are included in the Xara premium 365 version there is a lot of white on both sites and pictures are not over the full wide.

do I something wrong or are the templates old version rebuild to responsive or what. I want to create something like for example the PADI.com site

is it better to start from scratch?

thanks for any help or advise in advanced.

Default Re: help or advice needed for responsive website

A true "responsive" website automatically re-configures the content to accommodate the browser size.

Xara products do not do this unless you use the Scale to Fit option for a SuperSite which I don't recommend.

Xara lets you design the optimum site for a given browser size. These are called "variants" and the browser determines the best variant for the browser.

While this requires more effort on the part of the site designer, IMO the results are better.

Some people now have 27" monitors. If you expand the entire site to fit that monitor size, this text area on TalkGraphics for example, it's going to be huge.

It's the same idea of if you have a paperback book that is easy to read at 6 x 9" and you make a 10 x 12 book by simply making everything bigger.

Hope this helps.

The Polar theme is not designed as a full width theme, whereas some of the themes I previewed on the xara templates site are - but you have to pay for these

For starters, download the Polar theme and then set your main variant page size to 1200px. You can then sort of achieve the effect you want by selecting the main pic/ right click/ web sticky/stretchy/ stretch properties/ full width/ scale stretched object.
    You could also then adjust the space of the page elements/ change the layout to suit your design needs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by letsgofishing; 26 October 2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: 2nd thoughts

what want is like the starting page of the padi website. https://www.padi.com/ . that the top picture and the bottom is over the full width. text may be smaller like they have. I also don't need room for adverts.
    I have paid for the online catalogue of Xara web design because I have the premium version. but all I've tried have a smaller design. while on the Xara templates site even the 960 pix sites stretching full width. see example:http://xaratemplates.com/vendors/xar...xt80-template/

can I do this with any of the Xara templates that are included in the premium version?

Quote Originally Posted by Musicdiver View Post
    what want is like the starting page of the padi website. https://www.padi.com/ . that the top picture and the bottom is over the full width. text may be smaller like they have. I also don't need room for adverts.
    I have paid for the online catalogue of Xara web design because I have the premium version. but all I've tried have a smaller design. while on the Xara templates site even the 960 pix sites stretching full width. see example:http://xaratemplates.com/vendors/xar...xt80-template/

can I do this with any of the Xara templates that are included in the premium version?
    Hi musicdiver - did you actually download and open the sample site I posted? You can make any changes you want in WDP

HI Letsgofishing, the template is included on the full premium version and on the dvd i got when I bought the program. that's why I noticed it was not full width theme. I opened your and saw it was the same I have (right? or did you change anything I didn't noticed)

Templates and pre-designed websites are not available until you purchase the product.

Photos and be set to stretch full width. But the results are not always that good.

You can create a graphic that is as wide as the widest screen, though these days that can be very wide, and place it on the page.

In Web Properties > Website tab, un-check Clip to Page Edges.

Hi Musicdiver, I believe you're getting a bit confused re resposive site here. It's quite convoluted so I won't go into it here.

The polar_website has a set page width (960px) in which the content sits. However the mountain range image has Stretch Properties applied allowing the image to fill the browser width, which adjusts as you scale your browser window up/down. But notice that the remainder of the content remains in the 960 px page width.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Musicdiver, I believe you're getting a bit confused re resposive site here. It's quite convoluted so I won't go into it here.

The polar_website has a set page width (960px) in which the content sits. However the mountain range image has Stretch Properties applied allowing the image to fill the browser width, which adjusts as you scale your browser window up/down. But notice that the remainder of the content remains in the 960 px page width.

hello Egg Bramhill,

that's my problem. when I open the polar template and do a site preview on the internet then the picture of the mountain range is not stretched over the full width. also when I check the example on the Xara side it's not happening. I got the original one because I have a full paid version of Xara wd 365 incl content pac. so before I start building my new site I need to figure out what's wrong. is it internet explorer of windows 7 or 10. or is it in the settings of WD 365?

thanks for your advice.

ps do you know anywhere were I can buy a template made to measure exept India

Hello again Musicdiver. I believe what you want is for the header image to fill the browser width, not just the page width. If so, just select the image, right click, select Web Sticky/Stretchy. Set to Stretch, center and scale stretched object.

Open the attached in xara and preview.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host