Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newer Google Fonts not listed - Designer Pro X

Hello - Hope someone out there can be of help: I’m noticing that some 'newer' Google Fonts - such as Saira Extra Condensed - are listed on Google's own Google Font page (at their site), but seemingly aren't listed in the Font List - under Google Fonts - in Designer Pro X. Is there a way that I can upload the new fonts myself and those update my Xara font list (and availability)? Many Thanks - Jeff

Default Re: Newer Google Fonts not listed - Designer Pro X

Perhaps this helps? (Don't let the light interface fool you, it's still DPX).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Add Google fonts.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	119118  

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Perhaps this helps? (Don't let the light interface fool you, it's still DPX).
    Hi - Thanks for the reply, however hitting that 'ADD" link in the Xara pull down menu unfortunately does not solve the problem. The font list that displays the Google Fonts (787 fonts) to select from to add from - is not complete nor up to date. For example: the newer Google font called Saira Extra Condensed - that I’d like to use - is listed on the external Google Font site, but not on this Xara list of of possible Google fonts to select from. Is there a way to add the newest Google fonts to the 'selection' list? - Thanks so much. Jeff

Try this: Go to https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Sa...xtra+Condensed and click the Select This Font button in the upper right corner. Then click the "1 Family Selected" bar that appears at the bottom of your browser window and click the download button in the upper right corner. Now you'll have the font family zip file on your computer; unzip and install the fonts. If double-clicking doesn't work, right-click the fonts, and select Open With/Windows Font Viewer. When WFV opens, click the install button.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Try this: Go to https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Sa...xtra+Condensed and click the Select This Font button in the upper right corner. Then click the "1 Family Selected" bar that appears at the bottom of your browser window and click the download button in the upper right corner. Now you'll have the font family zip file on your computer; unzip and install the fonts. If double-clicking doesn't work, right-click the fonts, and select Open With/Windows Font Viewer. When WFV opens, click the install button.
    Hi - thanks for your reply and answer. Ok, I've tried this. I have successfully downloaded the Saira Google font family to my computer. It shows up in Xara 'Other Font' list - NOT the 'Google Font' list. Don't know if that is the underlaying problem/reason, but when I go to publish the website - to test and see if the this new font displays correctly on various browsers, I get the following alert:

'The following fonts are used by the document but are either not installed, or not in a format that allows them to be embedded in the website. It then lists:

Saira ExtraCondensed ExtraBold

And .... in the published web page, the font does not display correctly. It does not display in Siara at all, but comes in some Serif font (Siara is a non-serif).

So, sorry to report back, that didn't seem to work.

Any other ideas? :-)

Many thanks!
    Jeff

Jeff, it worked for me right out of the tin.

Have a look at xr_text.css in your index_htm_files folder.

It should have:
    /* Text styles */
    .xr_s0 {font-family:'Saira ExtraCondensed Medium';font-weight:500;font-style:normal;font-size:20px;text-decoration:none;font-feature-settings:'kern','liga' 0,'clig' 0,'calt' 0;color:#000000;background-color:Transparent;letter-spacing:0em;}
    or similar.

Close your Xara application, power down and start up again might just help.

Xara is showing it as the Used font and in the All fonts table but this might be down to different applications.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Jeff, it worked for me right out of the tin.

Have a look at xr_text.css in your index_htm_files folder.

It should have:
    or similar.

Close your Xara application, power down and start up again might just help.

Xara is showing it as the Used font and in the All fonts table but this might be down to different applications.

Acorn
    Acron - did you actually place the Saira font on a test website page and publish it - and did it display correctly? I ask as I'm seeing a pattern. While I was able to get a 'new' Google Font to work for me - 'Slabo 27px' - after downloading and loading onto my computer. But, what I'm seeing now after some experimenting is that all fonts on the Google Font website (Google's site) that have an indication that the particular Google font is a "OMNIBUS-TYPE" font (it is noted under the font name on the Google Font site) - will not 'successfully' publish as a part of a Xara website and will not display correctly. Any other Google Font - even new ones - that you need to download, etc, will indeed publish and display successfully. Are Omnibus-Type fonts a know problem - as web fonts?
    Thanks - Jeff