Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Approach to the position of the vertical navbar ?

For a website of potentially 20, 30 pages or even more, it would be nice to keep or to position the navbar in a fixed spot of each page. However, because this site will become quite populated with information, I choose to work with both a horizontal and a vertical navbar.

Having said this, keeping the horizontal navbar in its fixed position is a piece of cake using the repeat function. However as you can see, I would have to decouple the horizontal navbar (growing vertically) from repeating and position it in function of the layout of each indivudual page (unless of course I would copy/paste the index page each time).

Anyway, I have no experience with this, so I wonder how you would approach such a problem. I fear the only way is that I will have to stop the repeating and position it myself maually each time, but I am open to any suggestions.

In the 1st screenshot I indicated the part of the site which would then have to repeat itself on all the other pages. The rest of each page could then be filled with some text, a picture, some widget or whatever. In the 2nd screenshot you see the vertical navbar's incorrect position in the case that I would set it to repeat on all pages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knipsel1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	119063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knipsel2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	119064  

Default Re: Approach to the position of the vertical navbar ?

Are you using Web Designer 9? This is what you have listed in your TalkGraphics profile.

Web Designer Premium 11 and 12 (365) has a Sticky feature. Sticky can do what you want and make the navigation bar remain in the same place.

I don't think this can be done in Web Designer 9 unless you use an ifixed layer.

You can see an example of Sticky objects here. http://www.collectorvehicleappraisalsofnewmexico.com/ This is not a navigation bar, but it could be. The navigation bar at the top of the page is sticky too.

Thanks, I updated my profile. End of September I purchased Xara WDP 365 and had received the serial, however I think I still run some older version. Maybe something went wrong during installation I don't know. Please see the screenshot and maybe you can tell me what version I am currently running ?

Name:	Knipsel3.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	119065  

Great! Then right click on your vertical nav bar and select Web Sticky/Stretchy and check off Sticky.

Also select the nav bar and Arrange > Bring to Front.

There has been confusion between the names, but 12 and 365 are the same product.

Still same problem, see screenshot example.

Name:	Knipsel4.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	119067  

Are both horizontal and vertical nav bars set to Sticky? You cannot have one set to sticky and one set to stick at top.

Both are set to stick at top, here's the url:

http://users.telenet.be/levenscirkel...oeck/index.htm

My problem is that the butterfly header is not a separate object (probably it's the template's background) so I can't set it to sticky, or can I ? Ideally that header + the horizontal navbar should both stay at the top.

Yes the butterfly object can be set to Sticky too.

Stick to Top means that once an object reaches the top of the browser is sticks there. It is better if both are set to Sticky. Then they will both appear on the same place on the page.

Ok, I have set all the header objects to sticky (just the index page).

The only thing that I don't know how to fix is the blue part at the top with the butterflies inside. Now it still shifts with the rest of the page.

The rest of the page (the widget, the welcome text) should dissapear underneath all of them.

How can I set the blue part at the top to sticky ?; it's not a separate rectangle I can click on; isn't it the graphical design of the template itself ?

http://users.telenet.be/levenscirkel...oeck/index.htm

Progress.

Select the butterfly and the text and group them to the blue rectangle and flower graphics. Make this all one unit. Then make it Sticky.