Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Websafe Fonts

Default Websafe Fonts

I should know this by now, but I'm confused about which fonts will display correctly on visitors' computers.Xara WebDesignser has fonts in 3 catigories...Web safe fontsGoogle fontsAll fontsDoes it depend on if a visitor has that font installed? I shouldn't have to count on that. Or only in some fonts listed?I did a test and used the "All fonts" categories and opened the page on an old laptop and they seem to all be showing up correctly.Can I use any font that shows up in these lists?Thank you so much!

Default Re: Websafe Fonts

I found this list for you https://kinsta.com/blog/web-safe-fon...web-safe-fonts hope this helps.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

marjorie, all of the above. Xara exports or links to the required font package so all and any visitor sees the same thing. Some mobile browsers have limitations but may fall back to a web safe substitute. A rare event.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Fantastic! I can really get creative now! Thank you so much!

The latest update to Pro+ has self hosting for Google Fonts http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/des...Anchor:58aTsKR

This is great because Google has a ton of fonts. The new feature was added because Google, bless their knifing beady little heart was tracking the IP addresses of those who posted websites with Google fonts embedded and those who visited those same sites.

The new feature basically stops Google from tracking because now the fonts are hosted on your website and not via a link to Google.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I found this list for you https://kinsta.com/blog/web-safe-fon...web-safe-fonts hope this helps.
    Thanks Larry. Really a good article. One question. What is meant by the font stack?
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Thanks Larry. Really a good article. One question. What is meant by the font stack?
    A font stack is a collection of similar fonts, which the browser tries in turn until it hits one that works.
    You usually stop it following off the list end with a generic sans-serif font (web-safe).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for answering that inquiry Acorn.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.