Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Is the plural of Cactus Cacti?

Thank you, Ron. Even when I was using markers and other physical media, my goal was to create photorealistic compositions, such as this chrome heat note (this is a modern version, modeled):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Love-note-copy.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	120324

I think humans—and some insects (!) are naturally attracted to bright, shiny objects. And one of the first things modeling and rendering programmers learned how to do is create reflective surfaces. Too much so; if you look at early animation in the early 1970s, everything reflections, and looks unnatural for it.

Hopefully, there's enough mild, not overdone reflections and some non-reflective texture in the LoveNote image to make the audience stare just a moment or two more than without well-done textures and lighting.

Because it sure as heck isn't photorealistic!

My Best,

Gary

Well, Gare...
    As well as my failing hearing and memory, I guess my eyes are worse than I thought, because it looks very realistic to me. Of course, when I post something on TG, thinking that it's ready to show, I find out there's a lot of things wrong with my work. I attempt photo-realism, at times, but, never seem to quite get there. Still a goal for me.

The work you put out is to me, truly amazing. I always think to myself, "MAN! How does he do that!?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

You are to kind, Ron. But please keep it up! Name:  really-small-smirk.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  3.9 KB

I've long avoided the term "realistic", because although it's a trivial difference, the point was made with me by a painting done by Reneé Magritte. The title? "Ce n'est pas un pipe." "This is not a pipe", although clearly the painting is that of a pipe.

What he was saying in a Puckish manner is that the work is not a pipe. It's a painting of a pipe.

Similarly, nothing I've ever done is realistic, including my Federal taxes.

It can be like a photo, photo-realistic, but realistic is a hurdle maybe artists won't reach until holographic tools are affordable. It might be easy to mistake a rendered model as a photo, but rarely the person sitting next to you on a bus, for example.

'Til then, you should enjoy your photorealistic drawings, as I do with your work, Ron.

Name:	big pond fish.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	120331

My Best,

Gary

Default Spring is almost here

I'm waiting for the snow to go away.

And waiting.

AND WAITING.

Name:	Almost Spring.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	120411

—g

Name:  squatting02.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  5.9 KB

Default 2nd Spring visual pun

Name:	happy-Sprimng-for-the-web.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	120453
    I have no idea what to do with Summer...Name:  Guy-falling-right.gif
Views: 1300
Size:  7.3 KB

Default Re: 2nd Spring visual pun

Beautifully done, Gare.

Wish I could help you on the summer thing. (I got nothin')
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: 2nd Spring visual pun

Perhaps Mr. Sun with sunglasses and a lemonade.
    Eh. I have 3 months to come up with it, right?

Name:	solar_sail3-copy.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	120459

Now, this piece of abstract art I created without using a mouse or other pointing device. This is a collection of fractal patterns I created in Chaoscope. Then I assembled the pieces in P'shop.

Name:  falling-mannequin.gif
Views: 1311
Size:  4.9 KB

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I've long avoided the term "realistic", because although it's a trivial difference, the point was made with me by a painting done by Reneé Magritte. The title? "Ce n'est pas un pipe." "This is not a pipe", although clearly the painting is that of a pipe.

What he was saying in a Puckish manner is that the work is not a pipe. It's a painting of a pipe.
    Gare - I really like that story. It reminded me that the work of Canadian painter >> Alex Colville << has been described as "Magic Realism". The idea is his paintings embody a rare emotional quotient that energizes them beyond just technically rendering scenes with high realism. His paintings aren't photographic in character, instead they have a kind of realism that reminds me of something we'd feel in a dream state - where we wake up without resolution of the plot of the dream

I bring that up because I find a theme in your work that transcends the technical realism you achieve. That theme of course is your unique humoristic bent that seems to enfuse almost all you create. It brings a joyness most photoreal illustration does not achieve. From your audience I want to stand up and join the ovation and thank you.

Default We all scream. And then it gets awkward...

Hi Ross,

I just clicked "Reply" without realizing there's no good reply to your post! Anything I might say would be belaboring any point!

So instead, I wrote a couple volumes about my approach to Art, and then deleted it because that's not a good answer to a post that's not a question.

I'll have to check out Alex Colville,Ross, thanks for the tip!

And I think it's a misconception that work can only be hard and unpleasant.

Name:	Dancing-ice-cream.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	121060

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 06 May 2018 at 11:48 AM.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: We all scream. And then it gets awkward...

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    And I think it's a misconception that work can only be hard and unpleasant.

Name:	Dancing-ice-cream.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	121060
    I agree and your icecream is a fitting image -- although I worry the cone might be soggy!

Your body of work as seen in your gallery threads very clearly expresses the fun your have with your work. It is inspiring. Do you have any examples of more gloomy images you've created? Fine if you haven't - I'm just wondering.

My favorite Colville painting is >> Pacific 1967 <<. It seems to reference the idea of 'sword & scale' in assessing what might be a suicidal (or formerly suicidal) moment. Colville would take a several months to a year of highly disciplined work to produce an image like that. Interestingly, Kubrick's horror movie 'The Shining' referenced four paintings by Colville.
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 06 May 2018 at 01:21 PM.