Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: IT'S MANLY COLOGNE !!

I've never seen the sense in spending a fortune at a hotel when I'm only going to be at meeting and being a tourist all day.

If you're like me I feel sorry for you, and...you've also probably noticed all the classic art masterpieces bolted to a hotel room's wall.

Why does a hotel bolt wholesale art prints to a wall? Me, I'm not going to steal them.

Anyhow, here's my entry into the Hotel Art Realm, and room 12, first floor, next door to a broken drinks vending machine, loud ice maker and air conditioning vent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bad Motel painting.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	124064

This year, I hope to pick up where Bob Ross ended with

• Brook near a Mill

• Sad Clown

• August dusk in some cornfield

•Abstract night scene of a rainy street in Paris or somewhere with as little neon

• 3 seagulls in the air near a deserted shore, and

• Elvis in velvet

-g

Name:  trying-to-be-a-helpher.gif
Views: 304
Size:  8.0 KB

Default From Moclus to New York :)

Bortus, played by Peter Macon on The Orville, seems like the most interesting character on the TV show to illustrate. I used a model from a 3D print forum as the base, noodled with it a lot, then rendered several copies of the OBJ export, to render different colored copies from The Forge's modo.

From there, I spent some quality time painting over it as a reference using Painter.

I think I captured a little of Bortus' gruff exterior.

Name:	Peter Macron.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	124117

Name:  Skeleton-facepalm.gif
Views: 349
Size:  7.6 KB

—g

Default Re: From Moclus to New York :)

Gary,
    The Bortus picture looks very good. I have watched all of the Orville and his character has some of the more interesting story lines.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I've never seen the sense in spending a fortune at a hotel when I'm only going to be at meeting and being a tourist all day.

If you're like me I feel sorry for you, and...you've also probably noticed all the classic art masterpieces bolted to a hotel room's wall.

Why does a hotel bolt wholesale art prints to a wall? Me, I'm not going to steal them.

Anyhow, here's my entry into the Hotel Art Realm, and room 12, first floor, next door to a broken drinks vending machine, loud ice maker and air conditioning vent.

• Brook near a Mill

• Sad Clown

•Abstract night scene of a rainy street in Paris or somewhere with as little neon

• Elvis in velvet

-g

Ibet if you turn the little red-nosed guy around, there are a couple of vertical line details on the back!
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Hamburger Helper

Aha! The little red-nosed ghuy doesn't "play" outside of the USA! Sorry!

That's "Hamburger Helper", a sawdust-based meat additive/extender that Betty Crocker has turned into a really disgusting way to feed a family of 47 with a 1/4 pound of ground beef.

Name:	cheap cotton gloves.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	124163

Interesting you picked up on Disney's signature "hand" for most of the cartoon characters. I took a year of traditional animation in college, and the teacher explained the "inside joke" about the gloves that began appearing in animated cartoons beginning with, (I think) "Steamboat Willy" 90 years ago.

To keep fingerprints off the acetate while an artist inked and painted the frames, they wore cheap cotton gloves. And at the time, the least expensive/most common ones had the three pleated stripes on the back. So for the artists to go a little over the top, they added animator's gloves to all the characters. Funny at the time, I suppose!

Our class also discovered the reason why the cartoon creatures had only three fingers. Really simple one: because four made the roundish, exaggerated characters look wrong. Rather than portraying hands, a five fingered character looked as though they had a bunch of cigars sprouting from their wrists.

Unless you're going for photorealism, even today animators will use the three finger deal. Try drawing a cartoon hand sometime with the correct number od fingers—you'll immediately see the reasoning. Besides, three fingers + a thumb are one digit simpler to animate!

My Best,

Gary

Name:  Skeleton-facepalm.gif
Views: 295
    Last edited by Gare; 25 May 2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typewriter kept entering the wrong letters.

• Brook near a Mill

• Sad Clown

• Elvis in velvet

-g

Lovely post. Made me lol. I want to stay where they have Elvis in velvet! I've had a personal project on the backburner (dried out, blackened and charred) to make a series of hotel art pictures. Don't think I'll bother now!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

OMG!

Oh, please, PLEASE DO assist in keeping the flame!

Bob Ross would never forgive us if we don't create at least one abstract pine forest painting, and one of two children with big eyes at least once a fortnight!

Name:	jason luke's dad.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	124168

Name:  Emo-Grape.gif
Views: 279
Size:  4.3 KB

—g

Name:  Emo-Grape.gif
Views: 279
Size:  4.3 KB

—g
    Love the grape! Made me reminisce and chuckle.

And thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know that about Mickey Studios and the gloved hands.

Default Phoney Face

Hi, there old buddy!

Name:  Smily-FINAL.gif
Views: 283
Size:  2.5 KB

It was Pillsbury who started the Over-the-counterattack on Kool-Aid powdered dink mix in the US with Funny Face. Which to my highly sophisticated 10 year old's palette tasted better than KA. I discovered and sort of restored the flavors that weren't ethnic profiling, and may offer them up soon as vectors, seeing as the product died almost 50 years ago, perhaps releasing the trademark signature (?) Don'yt know for sure.

We in Syracuse had a thorny problem with profiling. Our mascot for the Syracuse Chiefs was a totally offensive caricature of a Native American, very similar to Injun Orange in the Funny Face pack.

Coincidentally, both our University and Pillsbury went the same way, which I think tautologically means Syracuse University is Pillsbury.

Pillsbury went with a one Jolly Olly Orange, and S.U. rebranded to The Syracuse Orangemen, literally a cheerleader in an oversized fruit outfit, with a college beanie on top.

I'd only wished that at halftimes, a giant straw would have chased said mascot around.

Name:  Kid's-monster-face.jpg
Views: 633

Default Re: Phoney Face

Yes. Life has been interesting...

For your pleasure (or not):

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Packages.html

They (some of them) live again.

Personally, I think they shouldn't have ever been allowed to use the Loud Mouth Lime (and Loud Mouth Punch) monikers either. They are offensive to every such person...