Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Xara online designer, omg

Had a go at xara online designer and let me tell you something, who on earth wants to work with that? I really do not understand the amount of man power and work that goes into it being fully utilized by anyone. Imagine they could be putting that effort into bringing new updates out. I am still waiting for a half descent update to xpro. Just not happy lately, I hope they do not dump xara web designer production in favour of doing it all online.
    IP

Default Re: Xara online designer, omg

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Had a go at xara online designer and let me tell you something, who on earth wants to work with that? I really do not understand the amount of man power and work that goes into it being fully utilized by anyone. Imagine they could be putting that effort into bringing new updates out. I am still waiting for a half descent update to xpro. Just not happy lately, I hope they do not dump xara web designer production in favour of doing it all online.
    Those on Web Designer are at a version released on 25 April, though Pro is only three months fallow.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

been 'fallow' a bit longer than three months on the drawing side....
    IP

Hi behzad,

Perhaps you could tell us what you didn't like about the online designer? What would you improve or what are your first impressions?

We're not dumping our desktop programs or planning to, and whilst a lot of focus has been on the online designer we are still developing new features for all our current programs. That being said, whilst it is in the middle of a lot of development of the Online Designer and now would be the perfect time to let us know your thoughts on what could be added to make it something you would consider using :)

Kind Regards
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob-Xar; 17 October 2017 at 09:40 AM.
    IP

Thanks for this quick update, Rob. It's reassuring to know that Xara is not in the process of phasing out the desktop apps because to me it sure looked like it.
    IP

Here's why....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	119014
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)
    IP

Hi cmpan1,

Sorry what do you mean by 'here's why...'? Here's why what?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Hi cmpan1,

Sorry what do you mean by 'here's why...'? Here's why what?
    Rob... let me preface my answer by saying... I am a fairly long-time user... and I obviously love this software. It does for me what NO OTHER software can... OK....

I'm not a fan of of all these online website builders... IMO that lack the freedom the Xara Desktop offers... (understatement) And I can see the Xara online potentially
    can, and IS taking this to a different, and better level.
    I understand that the ability for a shared back-end allowing others and customers to go in and make some changes is important.
    So I'm not against this, and would find a need for it myself down the line. I DO want this feature. But... But...

Xara desktop is my MAIN go-to for all and every type of work.... I just become so frustrated when I get these exciting notifications from Xara about some great additions and upgrades to....
    and then it reads... XARA online designer. And my immediate reaction is... "damn!"

Now don't get me wrong... I get it. I get the dev on Online Designer. But do YOU understand me? It's an emotional thing. I see the update notification, get that little anticipation tingle thinking
    ok, my Xara is gettin' something new, and again, again, again, it's ONLINE DESIGNER.

So, it appears to me that Xara is focusing more on the Online rather than Desktop.... I could be wrong, but just look at the ratio of notices of Online updates to Desktop updates. The online ones
    are/seem significant as opposed to the rare Desktop ones.

This.... is why I say "here's why"... it's because I get the impression that this is where Xara's focus is going.... (I think I rambled a too long answer to your question :-/)

Thanks for the interest Rob.

Cliff
    IP

You are correct in saying that the Online Designer is getting more focus than the desktop version, but as mentioned before we're not dumping the desktop versions either.

The Online Designer however hasn't been created with website building in view (and has very limited web capabilities). If anything it's more targeted towards business use - i.e. letterheads, presentation, company social media but this isn't fixed.

I've spent a while talking to our CEO Matt about this and in the end we want to create something that you not only can use but also want to use. One of my (ever increasing lol) roles is gathering this requirement from our customers and getting their feedback. If the majority of our users want a tool for creating websites then we'll work more on those features. If they want more features pertaining to print and publishing then we'll work on that.

If you can let me know what sort of things you create in the desktop version and if you have used the Online Designer, what sort of features you would say are a must have I can forward this feedback straight back to the top and say 'Hey this is what are users want, can we implement something'? It does get discussed how we can do this regularly so all feedback is welcome :)

Thanks
    Rob
    IP

Thanks for clarifying a few things Rob...

Regarding a feature list for print, many users have expressed their desires already ie master pages etc... and others.

Gotta run now for the day, but will be happy to respond this evening with a similar to others...

But in the meantime, I'll bet that a handful of others can easily express exactly what they would like to see implemented regarding print/page design & layout. I hope they see this and respond.

Thank you

Cliff
    IP