Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Units revert to metric system when editing inside groups!

I will set units to "pixels" at the top or main level of a *.xar file, but then when I click into a group to edit a shape or whatever, the units will always revert to "centimeters" or something else.

This must be a glitch, as I feel the main document's settings should, by default, cascade to sub layers or whatever they're called.

Because this is used so often by me (graphics often must be precisely sized to the "pixel" unit to fit properly in social media divs & website boxes, or when designing vinyl decals, it's important to fit within the "inch" parameters of a surface on a machine or product), I went so far as to ask my company's IT dept to purchase the latest $300+ Designer program, thinking a newer release would fix this. It did not. That was a waste. So I'm stuck constantly clicking into groups (like the different decal groups on what will be a whole-machine vinyl plot), and having to into the Units settings each time to update them.

I would assume this was an issue with my machine, but it's been the same across 3 different machines, and 2 different versions of Windows OS.

Can someone fix this, or tell me how to make settings cascade from main (parent) document level to all sub (child) groups?

Default Re: Units revert to metric system when editing inside groups!

You have to set the Rulers to pixels also as well as on page units
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I recall this is a known bug so Xara might have it fixed in due course.

Best idea is to raise a Xara Ticket directly. I agree it is frustrating for such a little problem not to have a quicker remedy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes a royal pita. You can type in values in the edit inside dimension windows however, fo example just type in 300px or 3in.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Should be fixed in next release.

Phil

Cheers for the good news Phil.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host