Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default website variants

Hi,

I know how to create a website variant but would like to know more about how the browsers use them. i.e. if I create a variant for 3440x1440p and other resolutions how does the browser know which one to display. I'm looking to do this because Xara exports navigation bars as images and for widescreen monitors zooming in makes the images blurry.

Default Re: website variants

There is a bit of code that determines which variant gets displayed in what browser.

... and for widescreen monitors zooming in makes the images blurry
    Sorry, why would you do this?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi there, I have use Nibbler to look at the website I have created and It said the Variant mobile version is viewed as a second website, not a mobile version, having the same content on two web pages gets a low score with google you can even be black listed. Has any one got any advice
    All the best Dave

Not following you here Dave.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    Hi there, I have use Nibbler to look at the website I have created and It said the Variant mobile version is viewed as a second website, not a mobile version, having the same content on two web pages gets a low score with google you can even be black listed. Has any one got any advice
    All the best Dave
    Hi Dave,

I think you are talking about "Duplicate Content"?

Disclaimer: Apparently I am not always right (although I might be wrong about that)

There's quite a lot on the Interweb about this. Try searching for "The myth of the duplicate content penalty". Here is an extract from one such result of that search:

"What are Google’s thoughts on duplicate content?

Many great posts have been published by Googlers. I’m going to give you a summary of the best parts, but I recommend reading over the*posts*as well.

Duplicate content doesn’t cause your site to be penalized.

Googlers know*that users want diversity in the search results and not the same article over and over, so they choose to consolidate and show only one version.

Google actually designed algorithms to prevent duplicate content from affecting webmasters. These algorithms group the various versions into a cluster, the “best” URL in the cluster is displayed, and they actually consolidate various signals (such as links) from pages within that cluster to the one being shown. They even went as far as saying, “If you don’t want to worry about sorting through duplication on your site, you can let us worry about it instead.”

Duplicate content is not grounds for action unless its intent is to manipulate search results.

About the worst thing that can happen from this filtering is that a less desirable version of the page will be shown in search results.

Google tries to determine the original source of the content and display that one.

If someone is duplicating your content without permission, you can request to have it removed by filing a request under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Do not block access to duplicate content. If they can’t crawl all the versions, they can’t consolidate the signals."

So, basically I don't think you need to worry (but see disclaimer above )

Roger

Hi there, It was about web variants (mobile versions of the website) been seen as "Duplicate Content" by google

Many thanks Roger

I agree with Roger,

What is duplicate content?

Duplicate content is content that appears on the Internet in more than one place. ... When there are multiple pieces of, as Google calls it, "appreciably similar" content in more than one location on the Internet, it can be difficult for search engines to decide which version is more relevant to a given search query.
    Xara only creates a single file (index.htm) to serve all variants, not several files with duplicate content.
    Egg