Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Make object disappear to reveal text underneath

Folks,

Might there be a way to have an object, say a simple rectangle or group, hover on-top of the main content. Then upon clicking it, it disappears.

I was originally trying to contain step by step information within an accordion, but I cannot make the accordion extend the page or push object below. My next attempt to facilitate a similar function is to contain all the content on the MouseOff layer (or main layer) and cover the stuff I want to hide with a rectangle. Then when the user clicks the covering rectangle, it disappears revealing the content underneath.

I tried to make the rectangle a soft-group with the upper layers being transparent. It didn't work. If I select 'Web Animation - Fade effect' the rectangle will temporarily fade away, but I cannot get it to disappear completely. I also tried to locate the rectangle on a popup layer and gave it a scroll effect so it would appear by default, but it either doesn't appear or appears without an ability to close. I could name the rectangle and control it with JavaS but I would have many of these disappearing rectangles per page and on other pages too, so that would be risky/confusing.

Does anyone know a way to make a simple box disappear when clicked?
    Thanks all,

Default Re: Make object disappear to reveal text underneath

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Maybe the simplest way to do this is put the object you want to appear on the MouseOver layer. Then link to # The pound sign will make the mouse over effect work and if clicked just reload the page.

Here's an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary,
    Do you know if there is a way to make the mouseover layer stick or freeze open so the text or star remains on the screen when the mouse is navigated off the object.

Now your idea works better than my work around. I had placed the various steps on individual popup layers and opened each popup when the user clicks the covering rectangle. This caused me to split up each step into individual chunks and create many popup layers and I don't really want to do that. I'm also afraid it won't scroll smoothly in all browsers, just too many possible popups on-screen.

Your idea works, if I can only get the mouseover layer to freeze open when clicked, it would be perfect. However, I can't think of any scenario that would freeze the mouseover layer. I could recreate the Mouseover text/image in a popup layer and have a "reveal all" button that calls the popup. Thus your fix would be an individual mouseover for each step, while the button click would reveal all steps... If there's no way to freeze the mouseover then I think that's what I'll try.

Thanks GW

If you want the pop up to stay popped up until your visitor clicks it shut then you need to create a new layer in the Page & Layer Gallery.

Link the trigger object on the mouse off layer to the pop-up layer. There are two options. Close Pop=up Automatically closes the pop-up layer as soon as the visitor clicks off the image. Un-checked, the visitor has to click an X to close the pop-up.

The pop-up layer can be as big or small as you want it to be.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary,
    This solution works. It's a bit of work administering the popup layers that don't automatically float with the main layer, but it's much, much less work than using java. It's a solution I can work with.

Thanks for your help Gary, much appreciated,

My pleasure.

Here is a development of Gary's approach.
    It comes in three parts: to fade in the click; to hide the Close button; to provide a close function on the image instead.

First: change the Pop-up Settings to a Transition effect of Fade.
    Second: add the following CSS to your Website HTML Code (head):
    <style>
    img.xr_ap {
    width: 0px;
    height: 0px;
    cursor: pointer;
    }
    </style>
    Third: on the base object on the MouseOff layer add "popup: close" to the object's Link.

Any popup object with Close pop-up automatically will persist and its Close button will not show.
    Any object on this pop-up layer with popup; close, closes the layer.
    Any such pop-up object can have any Transition effect you care to apply.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat