Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara 11 Pro does not support Unicode ? or Indic fonts? (with example graphic)

[bitmap attached to illustrate my issue]

I've been a Xara fan since pre Corel days. It's awesome. It's super quick. I love the vector capabilities. I love it's Text capabilities too.

However, sadly, it doesn't seem to be able to render non English fonts. (specifically, in my case, Indic/Indian)

Microsoft Word doesn't have this problem.

My usecase:
    I use Google's Indic fonts. I can type in English, and Google docs automatically shows appropriate Indian fonts. I then simply copy/paste to Microsoft word, and select appropriate font, and the whole text shows correctly, as it should.

However, I do the same copy/paste in Xara Pro 11, and the fonts don't show correctly. Telugu and Hindi and other Indian languages have somewhat of a more complex letter structure than English... and as you can see from the attached picture, Xara doesn't render this correctly.

I am not sure if Xara 365 does this correctly. Anyone that has this problem?! I haven't contacted Xara support on this issue yet... this has been an issue for me for many years (I use Xara for personal work, but typically always upgrade... except that I haven't yet bought the upgrade to Xara 365)

I do remember, years ago, many versions ago, that I didn't have this problem!

Thanks for any insights!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-unicode-support-document.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	118933

Default Re: Xara 11 Pro does not support Unicode ? or Indic fonts? (with example graphic)

Can you post the Word file? This would allow us to copy paste into Xara 365 and test?

Ray

Default Re: Xara 11 Pro does not support Unicode ? or Indic fonts? (with example graphic)

I just tried. Says "Invalid file". I tried converting to RichTextFormat, but that failed with the same message. I have Word 2016.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Can you post the Word file? This would allow us to copy paste into Xara 365 and test?

Ray

I just put it in Dropbox!

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9cvx9ukti...file.docx?dl=0

Thank you!

I exported your Word file as pdf. Imported it into Xara and this was the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unicode-copy-paste-word-file.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	118938  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

In both Xara Pro X11 and 365 the lettering is coming in wrong. Xara 365 does have glyphs support and ligatures, so you would need to raise this with support.

Ray

Did you try the pdf route Ray?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

I pasted it in as Rich Text Format from Word. I get the same as what you posted, which some of the letters messed up.

Ray

Sorry Ray, perhaps it's my version of Word but they look identical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	word-xara.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	118939  
    Egg

Egg,

This is what I see in the Word file. I verified in both Word pad and Libreoffice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Indian font.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	118940

Not sure why yours shows different.

Ray