Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Webpage auto lengthen with accordions and popups

Folks,
    In Designer Pro (web) is there a way to have the published page auto lengthen when using external accordion code? or have a layer push content on the main page?

Ultimately, what I'd like to have is some text. If someone clicks on the text, a box expands below to reveal more or extended text, pics, etc. I know I can do this part with popup layers, but I cannot get the main page content to "push" down the objects/text below or the website footer. If using a button and layer the information just sits on top and covers stuff up, if I use external accordion code, the page length stays static and if the text in the accordion is long enough, it'll just run off the page.

Does anyone know of any accordion code that can "push" the content and footer below it OR is there a way to have layers "push" objects on the main page?

It would be similar to a FAQ's page that reveals more information when the FAQuestion is clicked on. I see that similar questions had been asked in the past prior to Designer 12 but I was hoping this has been figured out.

Thanks all,

Default Re: Webpage auto lengthen with accordions and popups

Quote Originally Posted by Thev View Post
    Folks,
    In Designer Pro (web) is there a way to have the published page auto lengthen when using external accordion code? or have a layer push content on the main page?

Ultimately, what I'd like to have is some text. If someone clicks on the text, a box expands below to reveal more or extended text, pics, etc. I know I can do this part with popup layers, but I cannot get the main page content to "push" down the objects/text below or the website footer. If using a button and layer the information just sits on top and covers stuff up, if I use external accordion code, the page length stays static and if the text in the accordion is long enough, it'll just run off the page.

Does anyone know of any accordion code that can "push" the content and footer below it OR is there a way to have layers "push" objects on the main page?

It would be similar to a FAQ's page that reveals more information when the FAQuestion is clicked on. I see that similar questions had been asked in the past prior to Designer 12 but I was hoping this has been figured out.

Thanks all,
    Never tried this so the approach might no be something that can be developed.

The Page background has a Class "xp_ap" or ID "div#xr_xr" so you can bump the whole page down with CSS: .xp_ap { top: 250px; } or div#xr_xr { top: 250px; }.
    In principle, you would add an ID to each accordion to capture its DIV height and probably use a jQuery :visible selector on the ID to then bump the Page background that height.

It could become very messy with Supersites and variants so I won't be offering a solution.

The straight Xara solution would be to clone everything on the base page into a the accordion pop-up layer, suitably displaced with a box that is pretending to be the Page background.

For this to work, page clipping must be disabled and you may have to soft-group everything on the clone as well, otherwise off-page shapes would be presented.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn,
    I originally started to attempt it by editing the published files. It sort of worked but troubleshooting was near impossible. I had wanted multiple drop downs per page, so I realised quickly that it would become too crazy and hard to recreate consistently (everything is different sizes and content updates would require code editing). I briefly experimented with cloning on layers and used anchors. it too sort of worked, but was not smooth and different devices had different levels of roughness.

It seems like a simple action, especially since Xara has the push function already, but I can't find the answer.

Do you know if there is anyway objects on popup layers can push objects on the index or base layer? This could give the illusion of a drop down/accordion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thev View Post
    Thanks Acorn,
    I originally started to attempt it by editing the published files. It sort of worked but troubleshooting was near impossible. I had wanted multiple drop downs per page, so I realised quickly that it would become too crazy and hard to recreate consistently (everything is different sizes and content updates would require code editing). I briefly experimented with cloning on layers and used anchors. it too sort of worked, but was not smooth and different devices had different levels of roughness.

It seems like a simple action, especially since Xara has the push function already, but I can't find the answer.

Do you know if there is anyway objects on popup layers can push objects on the index or base layer? This could give the illusion of a drop down/accordion.
    Repelling only works with text and it is not dynamic.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat