Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Named Objects and linking to them

Quote Originally Posted by donaldsa View Post
    Here is a file that I can share. It's a template that I'm using from XaraTemplates.com.

Click on the button "Goto Hike Anchor on Training Page". On the training page there is a picture of a hiker towards the bottom of the page. On the [Main] variant, I added the name "Hike". This picture is shared with all variants, but the name does not appear on the [Wide] and [Mobile] variants. When I preview any of the variants and click on the Goto Hike button, they all take me to the right Training page but do not scroll down to the picture.
    In Main, you have applied the Name Hike to the embedded group containing the photo. Xara complains to me that all this is "too complicated". Personally, I would delete the embedded group. Re-add the image and put the Anchor to it. You would have to repel text to complete the task.

Failing this remove the Anchor Hike from the group.
    Create a small inconspicuous box near the top of the picture and add Anchor Hike to that and repeat across variants.

I avoid the Xara-designed templates and build my own as any mistake are mine and not a Xara profession template designer's.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Donald,

There is only one named object Hike on the main variant and I believe this may well be the cause, I think you need a named link on all variants. Having said this though I still couldn't get it to work.

I prefer not to use text or images within the cntent as anchors but choose to use anchor shapes (they will eventually be converted to images anyway) just on the page borders. This is particularly useful if you are using stick to top menus otherwise they link to an anchor below the top of the menu.

I attach a (hopefully) working copy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I prefer not to use text or images within the cntent as anchors but choose to use anchor shapes (they will eventually be converted to images anyway) just on the page borders. This is particularly useful if you are using stick to top menus otherwise they link to an anchor below the top of the menu.
    Donald, more or less the same approach from us both.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks everyone, that seemed to do the trick. i'm using templates as a way to learn some of the tricks.

So I'm still struggling with this. The example you posted seems to work just fine. But when I do the same thing in my website its still not working.

1) I create a rectangle object on my home page.
    2) I right click and goto Web Properties. I select Link to Anchor and pick the anchor name.
    3) Within Xara, if I click on the object it shows "Link to Anchor: hike-2, change, remove" and if I click on the hike-2 link it takes me to the proper page and place.
    3) However, if I preview the website and hover over the new rectangle I just created, the web url that shows up is index.htm# instead of training.htm#hike-2. Is there some setting on the rectangle object that I'm missing???

Can you send your web file again Donald?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host