Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Named Objects and linking to them

I'm having two issues with linking to named objects.

1) I have a button that links to a named object. I updated the Web Properties on the button to make the link. I selected Link to Anchor and picked the Named Object. So I believe that is all good. I then shared the object with all variants. When I hover over the object in a variant, the popup message shows Link to Anchor: and the right object. However when I look at the Web properties / Link the Link to Anchor button is pushed but the dropdown box is empty - it doesn't show the object. If I click on the dropdown box, none of my named objects are there. If I preview the website, the button on the variant just takes me back to the top of the current page and not to the named object on the other variant web page.

2) If I preview the website on the main (not variant) page and click on the button, I'm take to the proper page but not to the proper position on the page. The named object I'm linking to is off the bottom of the screen and I need to scroll to I. I thought the link was supposed to scroll the object into view.

Thanks

Default Re: Named Objects and linking to them

Hi Donald,

Without seeing your web/xar file I couldn't say exactly what's going on but ensure that the named anchors are on both variants and that they are on the page, not the pasteboard.

If you still have issues attach your web/xar file.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Donald,

Without seeing your web/xar file I couldn't say exactly what's going on but ensure that the named anchors are on both variants and that they are on the page, not the pasteboard.

If you still have issues attach your web/xar file.
    Egg, I don't think it is as simple as that. HTML and javascript work to the first mention of an identifier. If you have three Variants and you have three mentions of the same ID then only the first one is recognised. If it happens to be in a hidden div, all that happens is the page jumps to the top.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not sure about that Acorn. Attached is a web page with two variants. I've reversed the relative positions of the two anchors in the mobile variant and it still works as expected in preview.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 01 October 2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Re-attached correct xar file
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, thank you for the example.

Xara accepts the Name of egg for the Main variant and then mangles it into Xxr_v2_egg for the variant.
    This is a good thing as it overcomes my mistaken belief that it was not being handled.

I have followed Donald's instructions as to how he has created his anchors and links and I cannot duplicate the problem.
    We need your design file.

I have learned my lesson in spouting out without checking; I was away for the day.
    I have just checked across Variants, pages and Supersites of all types and everything works as you would expect.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah, I got something right Thanks for the clarification Acorn.
    Egg