Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Font Interior Shadowing

I did a search, nothing came up.

So... I'm an author and design my own covers using Xara Photo and Graphics Designer (the latest but not pro).

Some authors use something called interior shadowing on titles and names. For example, photo background is primarily greens yellows. The title over it is done in gold, but mimics the shading behind the title, exact to the picture, by giving a darker brown shading to the gold in the title font. So depending on the shading of the picture, the word might go from dark to light to dark based off what's directly behind it.

Does my version of Xara have something that can do this? If so, how? I'm a fast learner.

Thanks!

Default Re: Font Interior Shadowing

Sure would help to have an image showing what you mean...

Had to search for one. And I seem to remember the forum here not approving of images. But we'll see if they let this through.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	510tDkonBNL.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	118915

If you can see that, consider the blue part of the title: Rock Hard. I can immediately tell there is some transparency to the lettering. I know how to do that. What I don't know is how to mimic the shadows behind the font.

Notice how the blue darkens substantially based on the picture directly behind it. The man's abs create a dark blue version of the font on top. That's not just transparency. So how does one mimic the shading of the picture to create different colors in the font on top?

Try experimenting with Transparency > Multiply.

You can try it on the text over the image (Golden Text (Multiply) | Image) or with an image clone over the text (Image (Multiply) | Golden Text | Image).

I also added a black text shadow, slightly offset, to give some depth.

We have no problem with images, provided you check you are not infringing copyright.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cool, thanks! I'll experiment with Multiply. =)

Shadow Tool > Wall shadow for the script type.

Screen transparency for the other text. Multiply transparency makes the text darker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadow.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	118916  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Shadow Tool > Wall shadow for the script type.

Screen transparency for the other text. Multiply transparency makes the text darker.
    Cheers for the clarification Gary,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat