Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Guest Guest

Default XARA Designer Pro X365: Has PDF export changed in the last update?

Greetings! Since the last update to Xara Designer Pro X 12.8.1.50861 I seem to have issues with the PDF export...

Just to clarify my workflow: I mainly use Designer Pro to create graphics for import in InDesign documents. So, I export as PDF/X from Xara and then place those files into the InDesign layout. This has worked like a charm for many years now.

However, since the last update there is an issue:
    Anything I export from Xara as PDF/X now has a white, page filling rectangle in the background that isn't in my design and never occurred before. In other words: My exported graphics don't have a transparent background any more and are therefore borderline unusable.

It seems Xara now exports the white "page" as a graphical element of the PDF. Why is that? And is there a new option I missed to turn this off?!

EDIT:
    I just attached two files to this post, the old, correct export and a new export with the current Designer Pro of the very same .XAR file. Remarkably you don't see any difference when opening them in Designer Pro - it seems to automatically remove that white background on import. But when viewing both files in Illustrator or InDesign, you will see that the old one comes with a transparent background, while the new one has an additional white rectangular path in it.

EDIT2:
    Seems I'm not the only one having issues with PDF export recently: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...export-problem. As a workaroud I print to PDF from Designer Pro with Adobe Acrobat X Professional's PDF printer and the file is fine. Which seems to indicate that the issue is indeed a newly introduced bug in Designer Pro's PDF exporter...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 14 September 2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added example files

Default Re: XARA Designer Pro X365: Has PDF export changed in the last update?

You're not missing anything. Seems like I reported this a while back (and there are other oddities as well, or were).

There is no means I am aware of to eliminate the issue from within XDP.

Mike

Guest Guest

Ah , OK... Thanks.
    Let's hope XARA gets its stuff together again soon: PDF export is absolutely crucial to me.
    Last edited by Guest; 14 September 2017 at 12:09 PM.

Love your design in the PDFs.

Just out of curiosity what PDF format did you export? Xara recently added support for PDF/X4. Does this white page happen with all PDF/X filters?

Guest Guest

I usually export to PDF/X-3:2002. Just tried with PDF/X-4 and the result is the same, unfortunately.

Yeah, that PDF is part of the key visual for the project I currently work for.
    It's supposed to be placed onto teal background color in InDesign - hence my frustration because it suddenly comes out of XARA with a white background...

I pretty much spammed the official and private forum sections...and PM'd someone at Xara about this issue. This doesn't happen with the previous version(s).

Hopefully it'll be rectified.

Guest Guest

Thanks for passing this on!
    I just now realized that the "Dear XARA" forum section is for feature requests and bug reports...
    I need to spend more time in this forum!

As far as the original issue, that is fixed and will show up in a future update.

Photo clipping, what issues? If the same as in this thread, please confirm. If a different issue, please begin a new thread, describe the issue and perhaps include a sample XAR and its PDF demonstrating the issue.

Mike