Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to publish website files

Good morning all,
    Here is my problems. Presently, I am using Xara 365 WD Premium to develop and maintain websites for my wife. I am using Mechanic Web as my hosting service and have a "Resellers Hosting Account". I recently built a new website for our school. Originally, the few past websites and domains I've built were added under a single cPanel account. Although I am not building websites for profit, I thought if in the future I wanted to do that, a Reseller Hosting Package would be the way to go. In the past, I've had no problems publishing to the web when I lumped all websites/domains under a single cPanel account.

Recently, I build a 3 page website for pastors and other church leaders. Here are the instructions I was given by my hosting service:

You need to put the following information for [pastorsgoodnews.com] to publish the website:

FTP: Username: pastorsgoodnews
    FTP: Password: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    FTP: Host Name/Address: pastorsgoodnews.com
    FTP: 21
    SubFolder: Optional

Then upload your files inside "public_html" folder (what does this mean and how do I do this?) Is this a process I have to do that is separate, then, go to Xara and put in the FTP info above?

I went back to Xara > File > publish website > publish to the web and put the above information in and expected my website would be published to the web. However, I kept getting (FTP error: login denied). I hope I've provided enough information that is clear enough so that I can get your assistance. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for all comments and suggestions.
    Last edited by musicmanrobert; 26 September 2017 at 01:45 PM.

Default Re: Unable to publish website files

Apparently, I was putting in the wrong password. Thank you all.

Glad we could help.

GwPriester, there has never been a time I've needed help you all did not pitch in to get me out of trouble. Thank you so much.

bob

Well, GwPriester,

It appears I was wrong when I posted all was well with my original post. In fact although Xara appeared to publish my website using the information outlined in my original post "pastorsgoodnews.com" does not appear on the web. Once publishing process is completed, I see the following:

Publish to Web
    Publish complete. Click to view website
    Http://pastorsgoodnews.com

Here is what I am getting each time I click on: "Click to view website"

Index of/
    Name
    cgi-bin
    Proudly Served by LiteSpeed Web Server at www.pastorsgoodnews.com port 80 (Could port 80 instead of port 21) be the problem?

I've tried to publish using FTP and FTP over SSL/TSL on the drop down menu, but I get the same results when publishing is complete. I don't get the 3 page pastors website. I've got to be doing something wrong. Please Help.

bob
    Last edited by musicmanrobert; 26 September 2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Made some edits

This is assuming your web host wants your files to go in the public_html sub folder. Most do but some designate a different folder.

But almost all web hosts want your files to go in a certain folder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub folder.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	118896  

GwPriester

You've hit the nail on the head sir. I had no idea to put public_html in that slot. I sure want to thank you so much for your help. I am so pleased. I really do appreciate your quick and "on time" response. It's very frustrating when I have done all I know how to do and things still don't work out. I am more than pleased sir.

bob

Your link works for me now Robert. Didn't earlier
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Good Tuesday evening Egg Bramhill,

Yes sir the link now works and works very well. I have to figure out how to put "Coffee Cup Form" files into the placeholder on the contact page and that will be it. I can take my time with this last effort. Thank you for confirming that the link works sir.

bob