Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Password Protecting a Page and/or Publishing to a Subfolder

Hi all -

My Goal: For a ~20 page website I would like to password-protect one or two of the pages to restrict who can access them. For example, I'll want a "Board Members Only" page that is restricted to only active board members.

What I've Found Out Thus Far: From searching threads here I've not found any built-in support in Xara for this. There are some third party solutions (e.g., coffecup.com) but I would like a simpler approach if possible. Other threads on this topic discuss that if the pages are placed in a subfolder off of the main website's root folder, and if those subfolders are password-protected on the server, we'd essentially get to where we want to be.

My Questions:
    1. How do I inform Xara Designer Pro X to publish a specific page(s) to a specific subfolder?
    2. Do I need to do anything after doing the above to resolve references to the page(s) now in the subfolder that are referenced on any other page. (I am assuming the answer is No.)
    3. Do I need to do anything else? For example, do I need to manually delete the older copies of the pages moved to the subfolder that were originally published to the website's root folder. (Again I assume the answer to this is No).

Thanks for your advice!

Alex E. Luyando J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. Microsoft Visual FoxPro Development and IT Project Management (PMP) Consulting

Default Re: Password Protecting a Page and/or Publishing to a Subfolder

Quote Originally Posted by jcnassoc View Post
    Hi all -

My Goal: For a ~20 page website I would like to password-protect one or two of the pages to restrict who can access them. For example, I'll want a "Board Members Only" page that is restricted to only active board members.

What I've Found Out Thus Far: From searching threads here I've not found any built-in support in Xara for this. There are some third party solutions (e.g., coffecup.com) but I would like a simpler approach if possible. Other threads on this topic discuss that if the pages are placed in a subfolder off of the main website's root folder, and if those subfolders are password-protected on the server, we'd essentially get to where we want to be.

My Questions:
    1. How do I inform Xara Designer Pro X to publish a specific page(s) to a specific subfolder?
    2. Do I need to do anything after doing the above to resolve references to the page(s) now in the subfolder that are referenced on any other page. (I am assuming the answer is No.)
    3. Do I need to do anything else? For example, do I need to manually delete the older copies of the pages moved to the subfolder that were originally published to the website's root folder. (Again I assume the answer to this is No).

Thanks for your advice!

Alex E. Luyando J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. Microsoft Visual FoxPro Development and IT Project Management (PMP) Consulting
    Alex, if I were doing this, I would split my site into two part, open and locked and publish to separate folders (or 'locked' as a sub-folder). When you are comfortable that the pages publish, adjust the NavBar and other links to the clocked pages to be relative path URLs (locked/this-is-a-licked-page.htm) Rework all links and republish. Last step, shut the door to the locked folder by your chosen method (using the ISP file permissions directly on the htm pages, CoffeeCup, etc).

You probably should also buy SSL access to at least the locked folder.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the reply, Acorn. I'll have to re-read/understand when I have time to focus on it. My initial reaction is that since this site is so small (about 20 pages) I was hoping to keep it all in one .XAR file to make maintenance easier. (I am, obviously, assuming that having "open" and "locked" parts would require that... perhaps not; I'll have to look into that.)

Thanks again.

If you are publishing the site to xara.hosting, you can password protect a page or pages. The downside to this is Xara/Magix have not made the log-in secure, which IMHO is a mistake.

Coffee Cup Software has a utility that lets you password protect a page or selected pages. It is not free. You publish your site as you normally would, then log in with their utility and apply password protection.

Finally, if your web host supports C-Panel, and most do, you can password protect through C-Panel.

Thanks Gary... I'll have to research C-Panel as well as some of the other stuff you and Acorn mentioned. Appreciate the info.

You are most welcome. Let us know which solution works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jcnassoc View Post
    Thanks Gary... I'll have to research C-Panel as well as some of the other stuff you and Acorn mentioned. Appreciate the info.
    Hello,

If your webhosting company has a smart CPanel, it is the easiest route, but you can directly use .htaccess files if they are allowed by the webhosting you use. They are pretty easy to make. There are even Htaccess maker and htpasswd Generator tools available (see: www.htaccesstools.com/htpasswd-generator/).

Thanks for the suggestion, Lex. Will look into that option as well. Appreciate it!