Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Meaning of error messages re data that will be ignored

Does anyone know what the technical details in this error message refer to? I was importing a .xar file created in XWD premium to Photo and Graphics Designer (both latest 365 versions) to do some graphics edits using functions not in XWD - then planned to import back to XWD. I'm concerned that I might lose something in the process and might be better using P&G only for editing particular graphic elements rather than importing the whole file.

This file was produced by a different or newer version of the program. It contains some data that will be ignored.
    Technical details; (4515); (4500); (4500); (4510); (4501); Live Share Attribute; (4510); (4510); (4510); Live Share Attribute; (4510)
    Last edited by yjs; 09 September 2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: for clarity

Default Re: Meaning of error messages re data that will be ignored

It's no issue, It just means that the xar/web file you're importing was created in a newer version of Xara than the one you have installed. In most cases it shouldn't make any difference.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    It's no issue, It just means that the xar/web file you're importing was created in a newer version of Xara than the one you have installed. In most cases it shouldn't make any difference.
    Thanks, but my concern is whether the 'ignored' data will really remain the same when the file is imported back into XWD. There's some complex grouping/layout, which is why I'd prefer to do the graphics edits on the .xar file itself. But I'm not sure if it's advisable to work on the entire file in the two programmes.

I believe that documents created with newer versions when opened by earlier programs will come in OK, BUT any features not supported by the newer version will probably not be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I believe that documents created with newer versions when opened by earlier programs will come in OK, BUT any features not supported by the newer version will probably not be implemented.
    Thanks - My question is not whether the features from XWD will be implemented when the file is imported to P&G (They won't); but whether, when I import the file BACK into XWD, those features (that P and G couldn't handle) will still be there.

In other words can you edit a .xar file with both XWD Premium and P&GD (Both latest 365 version) to take advantage of the different features in the programmes?

Better be safe than sorry by not taking the risk of features getting lost. Perhaps you could import into P&GD only the element you would like to edit and copy & paste it back into XWD.

... but whether, when I import the file BACK into XWD, those features (that P and G couldn't handle) will still be there.
    The easiest way would be to save it in P&G close & reopen it. If the error message is no longer displayed then I'd say you can safely say the non P&G effects have been removed.

You can see what effects are available across the different programs HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Better be safe than sorry by not taking the risk of features getting lost. Perhaps you could import into P&GD only the element you would like to edit and copy & paste it back into XWD.
    Thanks Boy - indeed that is what I am doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    The easiest way would be to save it in P&G close & reopen it. If the error message is no longer displayed then I'd say you can safely say the non P&G effects have been removed.

You can see what effects are available across the different programs HERE
    Thanks, that makes sense... Unfortunately the error message was cryptic and didn't indicate which of the functions were affected.